Six

"I'm soooo proud of you," Adrian smiled, hugging Nicki.

She sat down at the round table and handed Nicki the Tim Horton's bag. Nicki looked inside, seeing a chocolate covered donut.

"Aww, thanks, babe. How have you been? I haven't heard from you in days," she smiled.

"The phone works both ways, but I've been good," Adrian laughed. "I got a promotion at my job."

Nicki took a bite of the donut.

"That's really good. I can't believe I made it onto The Red Dynasties, Adri. It's a dream come true, but I want you there with me."

"I wish I could, but you were made for that team. Not me," Adrian told her.

Nicki sighed. "You're really good. I think Nasheema would like you."

"I'm cool, Nic. You know I only dance for fun. Plus, Donna made me team captain."

"Really? That's amazing!"

Adrian nodded, tucking her light brown hair behind her ear. She took a sip of her coffee and looked around the small cafe.

"Not to be invasive, but have you found a man? I'm only asking because you're glowing."

Nicki giggled. "Something like that."

"Spill it!"

"Well, we've been hanging out a lot. I like him. He definitely likes me, but I'm still building my trust with him. So far, he seems really nice. He's gentle with me. A real sweetheart."

Adrian smiled. "That's cute. I hope he's not light skin, because those are the abusive ones."

Nicki laughed. "No, no. He's not. He's dark chocolate. So so fine."

"Aww, look at you!"

"He's really sweet to me. The other night, we were hanging out and I fell asleep, so he just took me to his house. He wanted me to change into something comfortable, but I wouldn't wake up, so he tried to undress me and I freaked out."

Adrian frowned. "Nic.."

"I know.. I don't know why I freaked out so much. That hasn't crossed my mind for years, but suddenly it did. It's like.. I was about to get raped again. I don't know.. It happened so quickly I couldn't even stop myself. He looked really concerned and hurt. I made him feel like he had done something wrong."

"It's not your fault, though. Maybe if you decide to tell him, he'll get a better understanding."

Nicki sighed. "Yeah.. hopefully."

***

Meek ran his hands down his face, looking at Tianna. She tapped her acrylic nails against the island, staring at him. Her hazel eyes stared right back into his dark brown ones as silence filled the room. Meek shook his head, sighing before speaking.

"Yo, I'm not about to keep doing this with you, T. You keep tripping over little stuff. Stuff that shouldn't even matter! We're getting divorced."

"You've been home for a good five days, Meek! You could've at least kept it clean."

Meek shook his head. "I barely been here. The only mess is the little bit of stuff in the living room that needs to be put away, and you left that shit there."

"Well common sense if you see it, put it away."

"I'm tired as hell and you wanna sit up here arguing," Meek said, shaking his head.

Tianna rolled her eyes. "This is exactly why we're always arguing. Every time I say something to you, it's a problem. You don't have good communication skills. Maybe if you did, this marriage could've lasted."