Thirty

Nicki laid on her side in the hospital bed, breathing hard. She closed her eyes tightly and groaned in pain. Meek stood beside her, holding her hand while stroking her hair.

"Meek, I can't do this," she breathed out, looking up at him.

"You got this, baby."

She closed her eyes tightly and squeezed his hand, crying out in pain. She took deep breaths and looked up at Meek.

"Damn, you beautiful even when you in pain," he said, kissing her forehead.

She laughed a little, closing her eyes. She scrunched her face up in pain and blew air out of her mouth.

"Where is the doctor?" Nicki asked.

As if on cue, the doctor walked in, smiling.

"Hi, Mom. How are we doing in here?"

"I'm ready to push," Nicki breathed out.

The doctor sat on the chair and rolled towards the end of the bed. She put her gloves on and looked at Nicki.

"I need you to lay on your back and open your legs. I'm going to see how far you are and if you're ready to push," she said.

Nicki nodded and Meek helped her lay on her back. Nicki opened her legs and laid her head back against the pillows, taking a deep breath.

"Okay, you're ten centimeters dilated and ready to push."

The nurses walked over and got in their positions. They handed Meek a pair of gloves, a hair cap, and a gown to cover his clothes.

"Okay, mom. On three, give us a good push. One.. two.. three!"

Nicki pushed hard, closing her eyes. Meek looked down at her, seeing her face turning red and the veins in her neck and forehead show. She stopped and breathed out, crying a little.

"I can't do this," she cried, laying her head back against the pillows.

"You can. You're doing good. Your baby boy is crowning."

Nicki looked towards Meek, who leaned down and pecked her lips. "You doing good baby."

"Take a deep breath and give us another good push."

Nicki took a deep breath and gave a big push. She stopped and took a few short breaths before pushing again. Two of the nurses got their equipment ready while two other nurses and the doctors helped Nicki.

"Give us another big push, mom."

Nicki took a deep breath and pushed hard, yelling out. She squeezed Meek's hand and closed her eyes tightly. The baby slid out and the doctor smiled.

"Good job! That was one of the best pushes I've ever seen."

The nurses cleaned him off and handed him to Nicki. She cried, holding him as his small cries filled the room. "Hi, Rihmeek."

Meek smiled as a few of his tears fell. He looked down at his wailing son and his beautiful wife.

"Welcome to the world," Nicki said to him.

They got a few more seconds with him before the doctors took him to clean him off and check him. Nicki looked up at Meek and wiped her tears.

"He's here," Nicki smiled.

"You did it, baby," he chuckled, wiping his own tears.

He leaned down and kissed her. She grabbed his hand, holding it. After a few minutes, the doctor came to stitch up her private area and clean her off.