44

The sound of my phone vibrating against my wooden nightstand woke me up. I slowly opened my eyes, adjusting to the light. I've fallen asleep with my bedroom light still on. I check my phone to see that it's 3 in the morning. I also checked my phone to see why it was going off. It was just a notification from a game I played on my phone. I opened my phone and went to the game that notified me. I played it for about five minutes before I got bored and exited out of it. I looked through the rest of my apps, answering missed texts and answering alerts from them. I go to my phone app, looking at all the missed calls I had. Ten of them were from Luke while two of them were from random numbers. I noticed that from those twelve missed calls, I had three voicemails. All three of them were from Luke. I clicked on each one of them, listening.

"Hey Ally. I don't know if you've saw the news article on TMZ, but if you did, please call me. All the boys think you're the person wrote this, but I know you didn't. I know you wouldn't do something like that. It's just not like you."

That was the end of the first voicemail. I clicked on the next one to listen to it.

"Hey Ally. I don't wanna believe that you wrote that letter, but the more you ignore me, the more I believe that you did. Please, please answer me. I know you may be mad, or upset, but I need to know that you didn't do this."

His voice sounded more desperate in that one. Like he's pleading for me to answer.

"Ally, I don't know what to think anymore. This is my tenth time calling you, and you're tenth time ignoring me. I'm starting to believe that you did it. A small, small piece of me still believes that you didn't, but I don't know how much longer I can believe that."

The last voicemail sounded like he was defeated. It sounded like he's given up on hope, he's given up on me. I don't want him to lose all hope, I don't want him to believe that I wrote that stupid letter. I go to call him back, my finger hovering over his name. It's 3:10 a.m, he's probably not up. I don't want to wake him up, but I can't just leave him hanging like that. If he doesn't answer, I'll leave a voicemail. I pressed his name, the phone starts ringing. I wait patiently, hoping that his voicemail would answer. The phone rings four times before he answers.

"Hello?" He answers. His voice was all deep and muffled, like he just woke up.

"Luke?" I asked, surprised that he even answered.

"Ally, H... hey. What's up?" He cleared his throat. His voice went from husky and deep, to his normal voice.

"Nothing much. Um.. I'm sorry if I woke you up, you can go back to sleep, it's nothing important." I answered.

"No, no it's fine. I'm up now." He answers quickly.

"Okay. So.... how was your day?" I asked, not knowing what to say or do at the moment.

"It was.. interesting. I had to deal with paparazzi running up at me, asking about the whole scandal."

I stayed quiet after he told me that. He sounded like it wasn't much of a big deal, but I can tell it was.

"I didn't write that Luke. I would never do that to you, or anyone. It was Fred who wrote it." I confessed.

"I know, Ally. I knew you wouldn't do something like that. Fred on the other hand seems like someone to do that, no offense." He answered. I can hear the certainty in his voice.

"None taken. He said he was trying to help me get my name in the clear, but he didn't... How did you know that I wouldn't do something like that? I mean, I'm pretty sure you thought I wasn't the type of person to cheat, but I did."

"It's just like how I knew you wouldn't give away my number that night I met you. I just had a hunch. And I didn't think that you would be the type to cheat, but we're all wrong sometimes." Luke chuckles.

"I'm so, so, so sorry Luke. I'm sorry for lying to you, I'm sorry for cheating on you, I'm sorry for ignoring you, I'm sorry for everything. There's no excuse that can justify what I did. What I did was wrong and cruel. I could've ruined your whole career. I could've gotten Michael arrested. I'm sorry. I understand if you don't want to talk to me anymore. I wouldn't want to talk to me anymore after all of this. Just know that I enjoyed every moment that we had, and I wouldn't regret anything. I wish things could've worked out better than it did." I blurted.

It was quiet on his line for a little bit. My heart started to beat faster and faster the more he stayed quiet.

"It's okay." He finally answered.

"I forgive you, even after all that happened. I forgave Michael for what he did, so it wouldn't be fair if I didn't forgive you. Besides, I still lo....." Luke paused before finishing his sentence.

"I can't just go on the rest of my life holding a grudge against someone." He finishes.

"You don't have to forgive me Luke. I know I hurt you, and I almost ruined your life. You don't have to forgive me."

"I know I don't have to, but I want to. I want to forgive you, Ally." Luke responds.

My heart started to go back to its regular pace. The frown that I wore on my face turned into a smile. The crushing weight that was on my shoulder was finally lifted. He forgave me, even after all the shitty things I've done.

We stayed on the phone for hours, just like we used to. The sun slowly started to peak through my curtains.

"What time is it over there?" I asked Luke.

"Ugh... oh shit. It's six in the morning. What time is it in New York."

"It's nine." I yawned.

"Damn, I didn't know it was that late.. or should I say early. I'll let you get off the phone so you can get some sleep." Luke says.

"Alright. Goodnight Luke."

"It's actually good morning." Luke laughed.

"Shut up." I laughed.

"Okay, goodnight Ally, even though it's nine in the morning up there. I'll talk to you later." He hangs up the phone.

I put my phone back on the charger and laid down, a smile creeping on my face as I  slowly start to fall asleep.