Chapter 22

-Adam Pov-

I sit in the room by myself, and look around every so often. I glance sadly when I see the pieces of the second bed, which was for (y/n) when he and I had been children. It had been a bunk bed. We used to argue about who would get to have the top or bottom bunk at night. It was a simpler time back then. When that was the biggest thing we had to argue about. It all seemed so much easier back then. A sad sigh escapes my lips, and then I look to my nightstand, when I see the only picture of me with my brother that still exists.

Back when we were kids, (y/n) and I grew up in a place called Sunshine Village. It was called that because it had the least pollution in the entire world of Remnant. Which meant that at night, you could see stars for miles and miles at a time. And when the sun set or when it would rise, it was beautiful. Our mother used to take us there time and time again, and it was always beautiful to see, and I loved the time I would get to spend with the two of them. One time, when we had the chance, the two of us took Blake there, and we got to see it one more time. Sienna had gone with us, and had taken a picture of the three of us.

In the picture, Blake stands in the middle of the two of us, awe in her face as she sees the sunrise. Her amber eyes shine with joy, and the picture is taken as her ears twitch with joy and with happiness. (y/n) has the same bright smile on his face, and I have the brightest smile. That was the first time Blake held my hand. I made sure to take good care of this picture, no matter how many times we moved bases, how many towns and cities we were chased out of. Even when I was held by the SDC, I had this picture with me.

" You need to let it go Adam," says Belial, appearing to me in the mindscape. " The past. Your feelings for Blake. The bond you once had with your brother. You need to let it all go if you want to be able to make your dreams of equality come true. It's impossible for you to fight for justice if you're tied down by love, or by anything else."

" I don't know what it's like for you," I begin. " I don't know how much of the myths I know about you and the Ultraman is true or not. But I don't think you ever had someone with you. Someone who was close to you, and who was someone you would do anything for. It's not as easy as you would like to think to let go of those bonds. I could never turn my back on my brother. Not fully. Even if he is gone."

Belial looks at me, and then thinks for a moment, before nodding to himself. " I never had what you once had with Blake, that is true. I never knew romantic love. Few Ultraman do. We produce asexually. But I do know what it's like to have a comrade, someone who I thought I could count on. I suppose they were like a brother to me. They were someone whom I thought I would always be able to count on. But I was betrayed by them. Much like you were by (y/n). It's when I learned that in the end, you can only count on yourself."

Sighing a little, I try to think back to what I know about the myths, and I try to think if anything like that ever happened to Belial, and then I draw a blank. I never paid as much attention to them as (y/n) and Blake did, so I don't know if he's telling the truth or not, though I don't say anything for a moment. The two of us sit in silence for a little bit. " The other day," I start, and he looks at me curiously. " When you said an acquaintance of yours had shown up, what did you mean by that?"

Belial hesitates for another moment. " The blue light you found in the mindscape. That was the return of an Ultraman. If I had to guess? Ultraman Orb. He was a man closer to be then I brother would be," he said, seemingly sad about something. " Our paths divulged a long time ago. I suppose he's here to stop me. And to stop us. And if I had to guess? He also has found a host. Likely your brother." My eyes widen when he says this, and then I look over to him.

" That isn't possible. (y/n) is dead," I say, sadly but hopefully, and then he nodded a little as he thought. " I saw him die with my own eyes. I killed him with my own sword. I....I killed my own brother,"I admit, and then the full weight of what I did hits me. I hadn't had time to take it all in before, and now it hits me, like a ton of bricks. I remove my mask to have a moment to wipe my eyes, and then I place it back on.

" A good many things are possible," he says after a long moment of silence. " Remember, you were on deaths door being tortured by the Schnees. At least, until I saved you and healed you. It's entirely possible that Orb did something similar for (y/n). Which means that the two of us have one more thing in our way from making the world safe for the faunas," he finishes, and then I nod.

I don't know what to say or how to think. On the one hand, I am glad to know my brother is still alive. It means that I didn't kill him, and the guilt from that leaves me in some ways, though I suspect I may not be able to ever let go of the guilty feeling. But on the other, it means I have one more thing which I need to get over before I can achieve my goal.