Mercer Frey x Reader ~Through the Dark~

Your breath was quiet behind him, creating a fog of your warm breath on the cold air. If it hadn't been for the snow crunching stubbornly under your feet, he would've never noticed you were there.

He hadn't said a word. You hadn't stopped following. Abruptly, he stopped.

He turned with a glare.

It didn't phase you, like most things he did. He never understood you- never. Where most people failed, you found strength, and where most found said strength, you found even more.

It was like nothing could even really get to you.

"Why," he hissed, "are you so determined to stay with me, kid?"

A shrug.

"Answer me, dammit!"

"Nowhere else to go," you murmur quietly, "the guild never took to me. At least with you, I'm not alone."

"Wouldn't you rather be?" he muttered, continuing on with a torch in hand. The moon didn't add much light, especially in the border between the Pale and Eastmarch, so he resorted to a dim flame.

You took a moment to respond.

"Humans don't belong alone, even if they want to be. We tear ourselves down."

"So that's a no."

"I suppose."

Mercer sighed, shaking his head. "Fucking right idiot you are."

Was he trying to scare you off? 

"I don't agree, but your opinions of me matter little," you state.

He scoffed, "I never thought you had it in you to be cold, ____. I'm almost impressed."

"Doesn't matter," you repeat again. "Being impressive doesn't fix shit."

"You talk from experience."

"Look at what I'm doing right now. I'm following a murder that tried to kill me. Willingly. Saying I'm a great purse clipper doesn't mean anything right now, right? Not if the guild catches up and stabs a sword through my throat."

He chuckled humorlessly. "Delvin would do that."

"Exactly. Vex would skin me alive, for sure, if Delvin didn't catch up first."

"You think awfully more pessimistically than the first impression told, kid."

"Don't we all?"

"Oh, getting philosophical," he mocked dryly, spitting on the path. You rolled your eyes.

"If you wanna play it, bard, a spoiler for you, we die in the end."

"No prince for you?"

"I'd rather jump off a cliff," you gag. "Honor is for the mentally challenged."

"So you have a grudge against Nords?"

"I have a grudge for those who die for fickle things," you correct.

He snorted, "Then you aren't real pleased with yourself right about now."

You nod. "I really hope we can pull off this falmer eye thing off. If anything goes wrong, I'm leaving you behind and taking the eyes if possible."

Mercer barked out a laugh, "Way to kick a man when he's down, kid."

"What I do best."

"Damn, you really are dead inside."

You grunted. "Haven't been a vampire for a few years now, but it's possible that's a symptom. Or I'm just a cold-hearted bastard, same as you."

"I revel in it, I'll have you know," he stated confidently.

"Good for you, twit."

"You enjoy it, ____?" he questioned quietly.

A dark, hollow laugh echoed from you. "I don't enjoy much of anything anymore, to be honest."

"Spill your most traumatic event, I dare you. We can write a book about this one day."

"I was enrolled in the Imperial army by force. I murdered a mother in front of her three kids and proceeded to kill the chaps as well."

"That works."

"Damnit. That's not even my worst one." 

"All I did was kill Gallus and frame Karliah. You are on a whole new level of fucked up, ____."

"I prefer psychopathic, Frey. Watch it. My hand likes to slip," you joke morbidly, the same quiet murmur of your normal voice. He glanced to you, raising a brow.

"You even in the Brotherhood?"

"I'm not even going to answer that. Have you not just been talking with me for the past few minutes?"

"You're more of the actually bone-chilling type of assassin. The type that makes someone faint just by one of those glares you've got. The rest of the Brotherhood now is just a group of maniacs, save for the one vampire kid."

"The spider is cool. He tried to bite my hand off, but there was mutual respect between us after that," you state calmly. "My only friend."

"Yeah, you're fucked up."

"I'm almost insulted you didn't notice it at the start, really. Even Brynjolf got the creepy vibe," you chuckle.

Mercer scoffed, "Two sides of the same coin. You're just not greedy."

"True."

"Why did you even join, kid," he muttered.

"I got bored."

"Okay, this book thing is going to be much more sinister than I was hoping."

You bark out a laugh, "Mercer, your writing skills are about as good as a diseased cow."

"That was uncalled for," he muttered defensively.

"I can edit pretty well, but not well enough to fix the mess you'd make."

"You are just a bitch."

"And you're a greedy lil' shite."

"Nice accent."

"Thanks," you state with raised brows.

"What? That felt sarcastic," he muttered, glancing back.

"I took you for someone who didn't give without getting something back," you murmured, amused as he scoffed.

"I have no idea where you're getting that from."

"You literally stole everything from the vault."

He abruptly pointed to a nearby squrriel. "The rat with a tail did it."

"Okay, that was good," you admit, trying to restrain a snort.

"I know," he stated cockily.

"Cool. No one cares."

"But you just-" he growled, "how dare you spin that on me."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Request complete!

Any other ones?

Food is waiting for me- I must move with haste! Or write?

WHatever

Dani out,

Adieu!