Cicero x Reader(Female) ~Cold Travels(2)~

When she learned of the trade he was in, her expression was remotely unchanged.

She was a cold woman, as Cicero quickly learned. She didn't like to talk, no, she wanted to get things done. He offered her a membership to his family, an invitation.

He was a stuttering mess through it all, but she didn't seem to be offended or angry. No, she just stood there, hip cocked to one side and arms crossed over her chest.

"Well?" Cicero urged. "Does she say yes or no?"

The female sighed. "Cicero," she started, before cutting herself off.

She shook her head. "I don't know how to explain this."

The jester frowned, absent-mindedly petting the mane of the horse next to him. "____ does not know? Cicero is confused!"

"I was with the brotherhood once," she forced out, "I... Everyone got killed."

The man stiffened. "What?" 

His question was hard and rough, sharp and accusing. She clenched her fists.

"I betrayed them," she muttered. "I thought I could help them- thought I was saving them. I made deals I shouldn't have. Sithis will not welcome me back."

Cicero visibly stiffened. "Surely ____ knows what not to do now. Surely Sithis will give her another chance."

"Cicero," she murmured, "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can."

The utter despair that shimmer in his eyes was heart-breaking; she knew she didn't like the poor man that much, but he obviously had taken to her like a drug. Did she really want to leave him alone?

Cicero took a few steps forward, abruptly wrapping his arms around her tightly. "Cicero will not let you go," he muttered, "he will not."

 There was a quiet sigh from her. "Fine," she agreed. "But I'm leaving if there is anything fishy."

The man let out a laugh, "Of course! Of course!"

Sithis forgives you.

She stiffened abruptly but did not lead on that she just heard anything, looking back to Cicero.

"Alright," came her sigh, "let's go."

Internally, she started to freak out, but the only thing that showed was an indifferent face and her hands coming to be shoved in her pockets. She hauled herself up on his carriage, the redhead following seconds later and jostling the horses to move.

The sanctuary, from what the jester had said, was a mere 10 minute ride. 

She had that long to try to keep herself in tact, to try to-

There is nowhere to hide.

She clenched her fists. This was not happening. Not to her- not now, especially not now.

The wind rustled the nearby trees, the faint smell of morning dew engraved in the fresh air as she breathed it in deep. She needed to calm down.

She needed to get rid of this voice- this rasping, damming thing.

She would not acknowledge it for what it was. She refused. This was not her fate- not her destiny.

You cannot resist me, the voice hummed again.

"Cicero," she cleared her throat. "Tell me, when is the last time you've heard of a Listener?"

The man in red and black seemed stunned by the requestion, clicking his tongue for a few moments before he could respond. "Before Cicero was alone," he answered.

She cringed.

Not the code, do not give her the code, do not do it.

Darkness rises when silence dies, came the chuckle, Listener ____.

This was not going to end out well. Her heart pounded in her chest, her wounds starting to throb in her panic. Sweat gathered on her palms, and she clenched her eyes shut before forcing them open.

No, she muttered to herself, not again, not again, never again.

She fucked up the first time, who's to say she wouldn't do it again?

You have learned.

She didn't want to learn.

"Darkness rises when silence dies," she ground out, her voice a low utterance of displeasure. "Darkness rises when silence dies."

The repeated phrase was followed by the instant stop of the mares. Cicero started to hyperventilate beside her, his fists clenching and unclenching.

"I'm so sorry, Cicero," she murmured. "I'm so sorry."

"Cicero will accept the Listener," he choked out. "Cicero is not angry. Cicero is sad."

"I know you wanted to be the Listener, and I-"

"The Listener is ____," Cicero stated firmly now, although shakily. "She will do good."

You twisted to face Cicero, wrapping your arms around him. "I will try."

"She will not have to," he reassured, returning the embrace in kind. "Cicero will help. Cicero will always help."

"I know," she murmured. "I know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

No other chapter tonight other than this update because im tired.

smut one tomorrow ;)

LOVE YALL

REQUESTS

ADIEU