The rescue

My thoughts were interrupted by a sound coming from the stairs behind me. It was Derek, he was signaling me to stay quiet. Then I heard voices from outside.

“Do you sense that? Someone is in the woods. Stay here Chad, I will take care of him.” Ralph growled and took off.

“Ok, boss.”

Derek sneaked over next to the door. Then his body started shaking and I saw the same change happening to Derek’s body and face that did to Ralph’s. There were some differences though, Derek didn’t get covered in fur and was only “half-wolf”. I couldn’t believe my eyes.. was Derek a werewolf? I didn’t know what to feel, I was in shock. Did Jason know? I heard Chad from the other side of the door.

“What are you doing in there, sweet Molly? Are you acting nicely?” he asked.
When he opened the door to check on me, Derek punched Chad so hard in the chest that his paw looking hand disappeared inside Chad's ripcage.
Derek was looking Chad right into the eyes for a few seconds, Chad was couging up blood and looked like he wanted to say something. In one quick movement Derek pulled out his heart and Chad fell to the floor instantly and his body changed from wolf-like to human a few times before he was lying all still in his human form. Derek was standing turning his back on to me with Chad's heart in his paw. He was breathing heavily for a few seconds before he threw the heart away. Then he slowly changed back to human and hurried towards me. I couldn’t find any words to express, I didn’t know if I needed to feel thankful, betrayed, or horrified. He released me from my hand cuffs just by pulling them apart. The only thing I managed to utter was,”I’m.. so sorry.. I had no idea.. I dunno what’s happening… Who are you?”

“Ssch, it’s not your fault. I heard everything he said, I was hiding up stairs. Rose is in the woods leading him away from here so we can escape, but we won’t have much time. Can you stand up?Do you think you can run?”

“I have to try.”

“Good.. I’ll have to carry Jason. I think Ralph’s jacket is outside, see if you can find the antidote.”

When I got up at first my legs seemed unwilling to cooperate and I stumbled over my feet. When I got up the second time I was more lucky. I got outside and I saw the big trench coat lying curled up on the ground and I started searching through the pockets and found a needle that I assumed was the cure. The weather was sunny and the light was burning in my eyes, so everything was kinda unclear to me. I heard Derek behind me, “Let’s go Molly, this way. We need to hurry up.”

I followed Derek as fast as I could. My whole body was aching from sitting in the chair for so long – I still didn’t have any clue for how long I’d been in the house. I was hungry, scared, and dizzy and my head was filled with thoughts and confusion. Could I trust anyone anymore?
After 5 minutes of half-walking half-running we got to the road and I saw Derek’s car.

“Get in” he demanded while he stuffed Jason in the trunk. It was the only place there was room for him.

“W-where is Rose? Is she..?” I asked. I had a hart time controlling my voice because my whole body was shaking.

“She’s in the woods, and if you wanna know if she’s a werewolf, then yes.. I’m sorry Molly.. I don’t have time to explain.. We need to get home where we’re all safe and hope that Rose is there already.” He said while he stepped on the speeder.

When we got home I saw a blood trail that went from the pavement in the street all the way up on the porch and into the house.

“Oh God…” Derek uttered and hurried out of the car.

He picked Jason up again and we both rushed up on the porch both not knowing what to expect when we opened the door. Inside the living room I saw Rose lying on one of the couches. She had a huge wound on her right arm and her right flank. Next to her I could see two girls.. I didn’t believe it.. Sam and Tammie? What were they doing here?

“MOLLY!” they both yelled and hurried over to me.

“W-what are you guys doing here? This is so.. surreal.. I need to sit down.. what about Rose?” I asked, I was on the nerve to another break down.

“We’ve done everything we could to heal her. My God, we have so much explaining to do.. But first we need to have a look on Jason here. Derek, can you put him on the other couch?” Tammie said.

“I.. have something here you might need.” I handed her the antidote.

She looked at it with suspicion and curiosity and then she injected it in Jason’s arm. Sam had returned to Rose’s side, and I would have liked to have gone there too but at that moment I was frozen. My brain couldn’t handle anymore. Too much drama had been going on behind my back, suddenly the people I’d started to care for and trust were becoming someone different – people I didn’t know at all.

I managed to find the strength to turn around and walk up the stairs to my room. I didn't tell them I went up, they were busy saving Rose and Jason and I didn't want to interrupt. I sat down on my bed and started letting go of my frustrations. The tears just wouldn’t stop coming. After a few minutes I heard knocking on my door, it was Derek. He looked terrible, he was dirty and his face looked sad, apologetic, and agonized at the same time. He bore a tray with some lemonade and pie.

“It would be so stupid to ask if you’re ok.. I almost can’t think of anything to say that would seem right in this situation. But you need to eat and drink a little, you’ve been gone for over 24 hours. If you need to be alone… I’ll put it on the desk here, ok?”

I watched him put the tray on my table. I felt so alone in the world at that moment, and everything that just happened wasn’t something I could handle all by myself. Despite what I had experienced that day, and the fact I hadn’t made up my mind about what to think of Derek, I didn’t wanna be alone so I said, “P-please don’t go.. please stay..” and then I buried my face in my hands again. I could feel he sat down beside me on the bed and then he put an arm around my shoulder and gently pulled me against his body. How could he be a werewolf? How could I be so calm around him when I’d seen what he truly was? His body was warm and his presence in general calmed me down. When I stopped crying he asked me again if I wanted anything to eat or drink. This time I felt my hunger and thirst again and it didn’t take long for me to empty the tray Derek had brought up.

“I think I need to lay down for a bit, I’m a little dizzy and I have an enormous head ache.” I whispered. My throat was sore from the screaming earlier today, but Rose's homemade lemonade did help a little.

“Ok.. is there anything I can do for you?” Derek asked while he looked at me with his pretty green eyes.

“Do you.. can you lie down beside me for a while?” I asked. I felt guilty for asking though, his only family were down stairs fighting for their lives.

“Of course, I won’t leave you..”

He laid himself down beside me. I slowly pulled myself closer to him and my head ended up resting on his chest. His arm surrounded my torso and I couldn’t feel more safe and relaxed, which allowed me to fall asleep and get a break from everything.