L.A.

Derek’s POV:

The work here was hectic and I had to stay longer at the shop than expected. The workshop had gone far behind schedule since my boss hadn’t replaced the sick guy until now a week after he had stopped working. My werewolf instinct made it easier for me than normal human beings to detect the problem, I wasn’t sure how and why. Our speed and strength was enhanced too. I wasn’t off from work until 8 pm and then it was too late to go to get whatever dad had left behind. I looked at my phone and saw I had one missed call from Molly. I felt a little bad for not calling her yesterday, but I’d been pretty moody last night and I didn’t wanna call her if I ended up saying something I didn’t mean. I usually wasn’t this moody the week before the full moon. Luckily my mood had been a little better today, everyone here had been so busy at work that there hadn’t been time for small talking and I’d been able to work without annoying disturbances. I hoped it didn’t change, back in Beacon Hills the workers knew I just wasn’t the big people person and they didn’t take it personal – they just respected the fact I needed my space.

After work I decided to go a diner to get some dinner. I’d lived in L.A. for a short time, so I knew about a few good places to eat. When I’d placed my order I pulled up my phone from my pocket and was looking for Molly’s number when I familiar voice said my name.

“Derek?”

“… Dylan?” I uttered surprised.

“Hey man. Didn’t know you were in town. Long time, huh? What have you been up to?”

“I went back to Beacon Hills, I’m here for work now.”

Dylan was a.. well.. I wouldn’t call him a friend, but an acquaintance from my time in L.A. A few years after my family died moved there, to get a new start and a job. But I got caught up with the wrong people – to be more specific it was a werewolf gang. I was feeling alone when I first moved there and being with the guys, although I couldn’t stand half of them, they became a replacement for my family. But when they started doing some criminal work I got out in time and went back to Beacon Hills.

“Still staying there?”

“Yeah.”

“Wow..” Dylan sat down, like I had feared.

I just wanted to be alone. Even though he’d been one of the guys I could tolerate I didn’t feel like catching up with him right now. “So you haven’t missed us at all?” he asked.

“I got my hands full with other things..” I said.

“I know someone who’s still talking about you from time to time!” he said with a teasing tone.

“Hmm?” I said while getting my dinner served.

“Lucy!”

Lucy was my ex, if you can even categorize her as that. She was a short fling when I was hanging out with the gang. But it wasn’t getting serious, at least not for me. She had always been more interested in me than I had been in her. She also happened to be Dylan’s younger sister, so I was afraid he still was pissed that I left her. But so far he didn’t seem to mind.

“I hope you’re not still mad at me for leaving her and the gang. She was more serious about me than I was about her, it wouldn’t have worked out.”

“That’s water under the bridge, don’t worry bro. So you are not considering getting back in?” he asked hopefully.

I figured Dylan was still involved. But I was sure – I was never getting back in.

“No thanks.”

“You’re still welcome if you change your mind.. but eeeh.. when did you start using another cologne?”