The pack

The dream about Damon had just been the ultimate anticlimax of a wonderful weekend. It had stirred up a panicked tension in the room, even Rose was shaken up.

“And you’re sure he didn’t say anything else? You’re not hurt anywhere on your body, are you? He only gave you the ring?” she asked.

“As I said before, it was all he did – giving me the ring and asking for help.” I answered.

Derek was sitting in one of Rose’s comfy chairs with his elbows resting on his knees looking down on the floor. He’d been sitting like that most of the time saying nothing. I was sure he was thinking, he was looking awfully serious. The fun and caring looking Derek had hid himself away from the moment he discovered the ring on my finger. Somehow I could understand how it had to upset him – his present worst enemy had placed a ring on my finger. Jason on the other hand was walking back and forth in the living room rubbing his chin. He was also thinking. All the females in the room were focusing their eyes on me like I was a bomb ready to blow up.

“Well I think we need to meet him. Or else he’ll just show up uninvited. At least it’ll be planned and we can do it on our terms. He will be standing outside on the porch while we’re all inside the house – he won’t be able to get to any of us.” Rose said.

“And what if he doesn’t wanna go if we don’t wanna help him?” Jason said.

“Then we kill him.” Derek uttered. He hadn’t said a word for some time so it surprised everyone he suddenly spoke.

“Derek..” Rose said and sent him a pair of blaming eyes.

“Everyone else can come up with ideas, why can’t I?” he asked annoyed and stood up and faced Rose.

He was actually scaring me a little bit. Just now I realized what Tammie and Sam meant when they said they’d thought he was creepy before he met me.

“I don’t think that was what she meant..” I whispered to him, trying to calm him down.

“Molly, please.. just.. don’t..” he said, without looking at me. “I just don’t see how this is so much different from Ralph!”

“Ralph was out of control, he didn’t know what he was doing. Damon on the other hand has been skillful and determined. There’s a difference.”

“If you say so..” he said and fell back in his chair staring down on the floor again.

“Sam and I can easily contact him and send him a message whenever we agree on something now we have the ring, a physical meeting might not even be necessary.” Tammie suddenly uttered.

It was like she knew some positive news were needed if we weren’t gonna end up fighting. I was mostly feeling bad, it was creepy thinking about I’d been lying with Damon’s ring on my finger while sleeping in Derek’s arms. I got up and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

“Are you ok?” I heard Jason ask behind me.

“Yeah… and.. no.. The whole thing is just so creepy.” I said looking down on my glass of water.

“Don’t take it personally..” he said.

“What do you mean?” I asked and looked up.

“You know what I mean.. Derek trying to ignore you and.. well.. he’s just trying to be focused.” He said excusing Derek’s behavior.

“Ohh that.. I didn’t take it personal, he’s just… so different from what I’m used to see. I understand that he has a lot to think about.. and..” without a warning tears started to roll down my cheeks. Jason quickly hugged me.