Chapter 3.4 - Sam - Bitter Rivalry

Assessment day, a day where we will evaluated based on our magical skills. It will determine where we are in the rankings among all wizards in the wizardry world. I kind of like the idea of pairing up with someone. The government finally makes an interesting suggestion. Well I said that I like it but...I can't say I'm enjoying it at all. Why am I not enjoying this pairing up thing? It's because I was paired up with a girl that I don't like at all.

"I can't believe I'm stuck with you, Sam." Yumiko was my partner for this test.

I replied back, "Well, I can't fathom how you ended up with me."

"You know, you don't really need to use those fancy words of yours to make yourself look smart or anything. It only makes you sound obnoxious and snobby. And you are already both of those things to begin with."

I felt disrespected by Yumiko and told her, "How dare you said that about me. I am your Cardinal and you must respect me!"

"You are just the class monitor. Nothing else. Your leadership skills is good and all but your personality sucks." Yumiko told me the honest truth.

"My personality sucks? What are you talking about? Everyone loves me. Even the lecturers loves me."

"Are you sure about that?" Yumiko raised one of her eyebrows and continued, "If you happen to look behind your backs. You might notice that some of us doesn't really like you. Especially when you force them to do something against their will."

"Are you talking about my ability or what?"

Yumiko continued her explanation, "It's your ability and also yourself. You should take a look around and see whether what I told you was just a baseless rumor or the truth."

"Yeah...I don't believe you at all, Yumiko. Why should I? You've been bitter about me ever since we met last semester."

"And I'm happy about that." Yumiko casually said that.

Her remarks really makes me pissed. I was almost about to raise my arm and activate my Absolute Order ability. But before I was even able to do that, it was already our turn to begin The Assessment Test. As we were about to enter the test field, Yumiko begins by mocking me.

"After you, princess."

I quickly ignored her words and walked into the field. We took our position and prepared ourselves for the first test which was a power level test. Yumiko brought out both of her flintlock pistols while I grabbed my Absolute Sword from my Dimensional Bag. I began casting an electrical energy charge from my other hand as we were seconds before the first target appear in front of us.

"I bet my power level will be higher than yours, Sam."

"Don't even think about it."

"Oh? I'm sorry. I'm already thinking about it. In fact, I might also get a head start by freezing you with my special bullets!"

Yumiko suddenly pointed one of her guns at me and shot a bullet. The bullet hit me and exploded into a freezing mess. My whole body was freezing thanks to her freezing bullet. I wasn't able to move my body at all. Just as that happened, the siren was sounded and the targets appeared in front of us. Yumiko, in quick fashion, used her flintlock to shoot at all of the targets as she run around the field. She doesn't simply use a normal live bullet to take out the targets. She used a combination of elemental bullets from the freezing rounds to the explosives rounds. To top it all of, as she ran out of bullet for her flintlock, she throws it away and grabbed a new flintlock from her Dimensional Bag. She was a force to be reckoned with.

30 seconds into the test, the freeze charge have finally melted and I can finally join the test. I quickly released the electrical charge that I have been charging up from the beginning. I threw it into the air and waited for it to reach a certain high. Once it has fulfilled my requirement, I snapped my finger. This makes the ball of electrical charge burst into a wild thundercloud. It unleashed hundreds of mini lightning bolt from it, hitting almost all of the appearing target. I missed some of it thanks to how random the attack was. At the very least, I was able to stop Yumiko in her track for a moment.

After that, I raised my sword and used my Absolute Order ability on the electrical charge that was still in the air and moved it around the field. From then on, I simply stood still as I orchestrate myself and allow the electrical charge to hit the target as it moves. Simply put, it was an easy target because most of the target was shaped like a rod and as we know, a lightning bolt will always hit a rod-like structure.

I gleefully laughed as I looked upon Yumiko who was struggling to go against the current.

She then looked at me and shouted, "Cheap trick, princess. I'll just have to up the ante then."

She begins releasing a clone of herself which she calls, Violet. I bet it was some sort of familiar or something. That clone of hers was able to use an abundant amount of water spells. It wiped out all of the remaining targets. With that thing happened, the first test was over before I even realized it.

Yumiko walked by me and laughed, "And that is how you win a bet."

"By cheating. Of course."

Yumiko then responded, "Hey, if there's an opening, I will take the opportunity to go through it before anybody else would. That's just who am I."

"Well you're not really cooperating well with me. This will surely cost something in our grade."

"Too bad for you then. Because I worked together with my friend, Violet here." She walked away from the field as she laughed at my ignorance.

That girl really needs to be put into her place. I'll show her what it means to be a Cardinal. I'll prove to her that whatever she told me about those rumors are just simply that. Rumors. I'll do that right after we're done with this test. There's only two more test until it's over. In the meantime, we have to take a rest and let the others continue their part. I've heard from some of my classmates that the Magic Studies Cardinal, Lala Magnetite had a great showing with her partner on the first test. I wonder who was her partner...

TO BE CONTINUED