#48 - fateful meetings

luke: it all came down to the fact that you had been craving panda express for the past few days but--thanks to loads of coursework and teachers that you were positive were trying to drown you in a mountain of paper--you hadn't been able to actually get any until now. there wasn't even a line as you walked into the purple and orange building and you felt like today was your lucky day. (there was no line at panda express, how could it not be your lucky day?) you ordered your food: a bowl of orange chicken with white rice and a nice helping of chow mein to go along with it. (you also couldn't forget the fortune cookies.) the door opened, bringing in with the crisp autumn wind, and a new customer. "that'll be twelve fifty." the employee told you as you began to fish through your purse for the wallet that you knew was in there. (okay, really, you didn't know if it was in there. but it had to be--you hadn't taken it out or put it anywhere else.) you heard the person behind you in line begin to order their food and your heart quickened with the realization that you didn't have your wallet. your cheeks turned red and your fingers nearly shook as they held your purse. "i'm sorry," you breathed out, embarrassment clouding your features. "i--i seem to have forgotten my wallet somewhere." the employee rolled their eyes as they pulled the food away from you and closer toward their figure. "i'm gonna go look in my car. i'll be right back." you noticed the other customer then, as you were turning around and rushing out of the line that was non-existent. he was immensely tall and blonde and as you were squeezing past him, you could only see from his shoulders and down with where your eyes rested. "next customer in line." the employee announced and he scooted over toward the cash register, his eyes flickering back towards the door where you were currently escaping and quickly strutting to your car. you ransacked every little nook and cranny in your vehicle, looking for some place it could have been. it had to be in the car, right? there was no other place for it to be. but after ten minutes of heavy searcing and moving the seats forward and backward and forward and backward, you gave up the search and trudged back into the restaurant. "i'm sorry, but i can't find my wallet. i'll just com--" you began but the employee (who seemed remarkably disinterested in everything) shrugged her shoulders and cut you off. "he payed for your food. you're good," and handed it to you from across the counter before going back towards the kitchen. (two fortune cookies were even in the bag and you couldn't help the smile--however embarassed and bright--from kinking up the corners of your lips. you spied the tall and blonde man with the huge sweater draping off his body near the corner of the restaurant, his chopsticks darting in and out of the food expertly and with amazing precision. "you didn't have to do this, you know." you pointed out with a near quaking voice as you stood in front of his table. "it's almost the holidays," he said. "it's good to do something for people without wanting anything in return." you pursed your lips and watched as he rose his gaze to meet yours and you were struck by the vibrant blue of his eyes that contrasted against his pale skin and dark sweater. "well--thank you ...?" you trailed off in search for a name and he replied with luke. "thank you, luke. i appreciate it." and you were about to walk away (what else was there for you to do?) when his voice stopped you in your tracks. "but, you know, you could do a little something for me." your eyebrows raised and the near nervous lilt in his voice piqued your interest. "and what's that?" he smiled and pulled out the chair across from him, implying his wishes. "would you care to sit with me? after all, i did save you from ridiculous embarassment from forgetting your wallet." you giggled, but, however, you relented and slid into the chair across from luke, taking out the fortune cookies, chow mein, and orange chicken and setting them on the table. you grabbed the fortune cookie first (as was your tradition) and cracked open the delectable treat in order to read the words that (you believed) you were fated to read. your eyes will soon be open to a world full of beauty, charm, and adventure. "fortune cookies are supposed to be read at the end, you know. they're like the dessert of chinese food." luke chastised, sneakily grabbing the remaining fortune cookie and cracking it quietly underneath the table, going against his own words. look around: happiness is trying to catch you. and when luke glanced back towards you with your small smile on your face as you folded up the fortune in your pocket and popped the small slice of heaven into your mouth, luke believed his fortune cookie was right.