Matching Scars

"Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to Bea
Happy Birthday to you"

Everyone cheered as I blew out the candles, the clicking of a camera caught my attention as I look up to see my mum capturing the moment. All my family and a few of my other friends were here to celebrate my 10th birthday, we were in the garden having a party.

"What did you wish for?" Matty whispers in my ear, I turn to look at him and he's looking at me with a curious grin.

"You know the rules, it won't come true if I tell you" I told him, he nodded and held his hand up with his pinky finger waiting for me to hook mine.

I looked at him with furrowed brows in confusion as to why this was a pinky promise moment. He grinned and grabbed my hand lightly "To whatever you wished for, I pinky promise that whatever it is I will try my best to make it come true" nodding as he said it as if agreeing with himself.

We locked fingers and I was called over to help cut the cake. I handed out the slices one by one, when it got to Matty who was last he took the plate "Hey you've got something on your nose" as he swiped icing onto his finger and dragged it down my nose.
I rolled my eyes and giggled as I did the same back to him, my mum snapped a photo of the shot without us knowing.

I had a bike for my birthday, a mint green coloured one with a brown leather seat and handle bars and a basket on the front like I had always wanted.
After cake, my parents let Matty and I go out to ride it. We decided to go to the woods down the road to the river where we usually went.

It was a tad too big for me, meant for me to grow into it as I had been getting taller. I couldn't quite reach the pedals so Matty told me to get onto the back and he'd cycle whilst I held on. He was going way too fast on the bike considering we were on uneven ground, before I knew it we were both in the river because he didn't hit the breaks in time.

I went to move to get out of the water but soon stopped when I realised there was blood gushing out of a wound on my right leg, the pain an unbearable ache. Groaning, I realise a rock has probably cut deep as I landed funny in the water.

I turn when I hear Matty shout my name "Bea, I'm so sorry. Are you ok? Are you bleeding too?" he said making his way through the water to me. It sounded like he had been crying. When he got to me I realised he was also bleeding but from a cut on his wrist rather than his leg and was sobbing uncontrollably whilst clinging to me.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I hurt you I didn't mean too" he hiccuped.

"It's ok M, don't panic. I'm alright, we're both bleeding pretty badly huh? I don't think I can bike back" I said, wincing in pain. Matty lifted me up with his good wrist out of the water and we both sat there on the bank, the both of us looking around to see the bike resting on the bottom of the bank.

We could hear our names being shouted by my dad, as he walked further into the woods and took in our appearance he just shook his head in a loving manner and helped us both up before grabbing my bike. "C'mon kiddos, let's get you home."

When we got back to the house my mum and Denise freaked out at the sight of us and rushed us straight to the hospital to be checked over. It turns out I'd cut my leg open and Matty had cut his wrist pretty badly, we both needed stitches. Once all that was done, we went back to my house to sleep.

As Matty and I lay in bed, I heard him whisper "I'm sorry Sting, I really didn't mean to hurt you. I'd never do that on purpose, I just didn't expect to go over like that."

"I know you didn't mean it Marty, I know you wouldn't hurt me on purpose. At least it's a story to tell and we did it together" I say back, honestly it wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Matty replied "Matching scars though? Pretty sick, best friends forever. Happy Birthday my sweet Bea" before falling asleep.

And that is how I ended up with a 3 1/2 inch scar on my leg and M had a 2 inch scar on his wrist because of him on my 10th birthday.