Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

I'm sat in front of the mirror in my bedroom, trying to steady my breathing, concentrating on the movement of my body with each breath. My hands clammy, eyes watering whilst I tried to stop myself from panicking.

There was some sort of charity event taking place in London tonight. It was a ball, the event being very high class and publicised as well as it was all for a good cause. I hadn't been in the public eye for almost a year now, tonight the band were due to attend. Ross had forced me to go as his date, promising that if it got too much he'd bring me straight back home.

I hear the knock of the front door, followed by the noise of it opening. I hear Ross shout hello before hearing my fridge open. I roll my eyes at his typical routine.

Grabbing my lipgloss off the side, I quickly apply a layer and take one last look in the mirror, I make my way into the living room and sit on the couch to put on my shoes properly.

A low whistle sounds behind me, I turn to see Ross grinning at me with his boyish grin and arms wide ready for me. I fall into them quickly, taking a deep breathe as I felt a sense of comfort.

"Ready to go?" He questions, holding his arm out.

"Ready than I'll ever be." I take his arm, wrapping myself into his side.

There he is, sat down at a large circular table, his left arm around a young woman who sat in the seat next to him. She was laughing at something he'd just said, if I didn't know better I'd think they were in love.

Ross notices my apprehension at taking another step forward, his hand rubbing a comforting pattern on my back. "Don't let him upset you, there's more to life than him. Repeat after me; You're a strong, independent woman."

I can't help but giggle at this, Ross always knew how to calm me down. "I know R, I'm happy for him but he still makes me nervous."

"Believe it or not, you make him nervous too."

He pulls out my seat at the table, taking the seat beside me and putting his arm around the back of my chair.

Matty's eyes lock with mine, they soften slightly before going back to the woman's sat next to him. I wave my hand lightly before introducing myself
"Hi, I'm Bea. It's nice to meet you!"

The woman turns to me "I'm Amber, I've heard a lot about you. The guys never shut up about you." She smiles at me before turning her head which I take as an indication that the conversation is over.

I laugh nervously before taking a sip of my water. The others soon arrive, George taking me into a bear hug "How're you doing, Sting?" he mumbles into my hair quietly.

"Good, just got a bit nervous about tonight and all the people but doing good. How're you?"

"Let me know if it gets too much and I'm alright. Ready to get wasted with me?" I laugh at him, before pulling away from the hug and patting his chest.

"This is a charity event G, no getting wasted on me."

The night continued like this, the group of lads bantering back and forth with each other whilst Amber and I chimed in. She had to leave ready for work in the morning so was slipping her coat on that Matty held.

She turned to him and gave him a kiss before turning back towards the table and giving a smile before wishing us well and leaving. Matty sat back down and watched until she'd left the room, letting out a deep breathe.

The rest of the table had gone back to talking amongst themselves when Matty made eye contact with me. "Smoke?" He mouthed, ticking his head to the left. I nod at him before sliding out of my seat and following him.

We stand in silence once outside. The hum of music from inside the hall and the clicking of Matty's lighter echoed in the night.

"Thanks for being cool in there." Matty says after exhaling his smoke.

I shrug my shoulders "It's cool, she seems really nice."

Matty nods, fumbling with the buttons on his suit jacket. He suggests we take a walk around to which I agree, enjoying his company.

The gardens to this building were long, they seemed to go on forever. Matty walked beside me, hands in his pockets which crept out every time every few seconds to show expression when he talked. His suit jacket lay loosely over my shoulders.

Twinkling fairy lights wrapped around the bushes, illuminating them in the dark night. The pond that lay in the middle of the gardens lit up by the fountain at the end. It was beautiful.

"Race ya?" Matty says cheekily before sprinting off in the direction of the white building at the end of the garden.

I sprint after him, holding my dress up as to not trip and my trusty converse that were clad to my feet caught up with him.

I push him playfully when I reach him, he falls back into the doorway. He looks down at me before clearing his throat and opening the door.

Inside was overgrown with plants of all kinds, the ceiling decorated with hanging baskets. It was messy yet I felt like I could live in here.

Matty started to hum a tune as he sat down on an overgrown grassy step and patted the spot next to him. As I sat down, his head fell to my shoulder and I felt his body relax.

We didn't speak, just watched the stars through the glass ceiling and revelled in the silence for a while.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

I look away from the ceiling when I hear Matty start to sing.

If I seem edgy
I want you to know
I never meant to take it out on you
Life has its problems
And I get more than my share

His voice croaks out, I watch him carefully as he slides down in front of me grabbing both my hands in his.

But that's one thing I never mean to do
'Cause I love you

He stops and I take a moment to come to my senses. "You sound so pretty when you sing that." I blurt.

Matty's head drops into my lap and his laugh echoes throughout the greenhouse. "You always bring out the sap in me, I fucking love having you back in my life."

My hands make their way to his face, rubbing my thumb over his right cheekbone. The crinkles by his eyes in full display and his crooked teeth biting his bottom lip.

I hear him mutter under his breathe "Muse, it means nothing without you." I act as if I never heard it, jumping at the sound of my phone ringing.

Hann's name flashed across the screen and I slide left.

"Sting? We're about to leave and saw you wander off with Matty before." Adam says loudly over the music.

"Oh sorry, didn't realise how long we'd been gone. Yeah we'll be there in a sec." We say our goodbyes and I get up pulling Matty with me.

I kiss his cheek "Always a pleasure spending time with you Marty, you've got a lovely girl. Don't mess it up."

We loop pinkies and walk back towards the main hall together.

a/n:
hi, sorry for being mia for a month. here's a longer chapter to make up for it. hope you enjoy 💖🥺