Family

I was back in Manchester for the weekend, my parents had a rare weekend off and invited Matty and I back home. Atticus was coming later on in the day with his girlfriend.

Louis, Matty and I were sprawled out on the floor of the living room, a bowl of popcorn between us and Pretty In Pink on the tv. It was one of our favourites to watch together.

"It's called a sense of humour. You should get one, they're nice." The three of us quote in unison before laughing at Duckie.

Mum was baking cookies in the kitchen, something she often did whenever she had free time. Growing up, I remember coming home from school and smelling the tasty treats she'd been baking that day. It was a scent of comfort.

The door bell rings, followed by three knocks. I hear my dad somewhere from in the house shout that he'd get it which caused me to turn back to the tv screen.

A few moments later, Atticus walks into the living room causing Louis to reach across for the remote and pause the film. I get up from my position on the floor and walk over to him, hugging him tightly.

"Hey my little sting, how're you?" He says sweetly.

"M'good Atti, you?"

"I'm good now I'm home, can smell Mum's cooking a mile away."

I pull back and move over to Jules, Atticus' girlfriend of 2 years. "It's been too long!" she says into my shoulder.

"I know, we need a girls day soon Jules, me, you and Suki." I reply, she was so sweet.

She steps back taking in my outfit "Why do you always look so good?"

I look down at my plain black t-shirt and green high waisted trousers and smile shyly "This is just comfy for film day but thank you. You should see me in the morning, then it's a nightmare."

Matty speaks up from the floor "I object that, you always look beautiful."

I sit back down on the floor and kiss his cheek in gratitude. Louis fake gags and I giggle at him before leaning over to kiss his cheek too.

We resumed the film, my parents joining us as well as Atticus and Jules and we spent the afternoon like this.

My parents had booked a table at a place in the city, wanting a treat rather than cooking. I went up to my bedroom to get ready, flicking through my makeup whilst Matty lays on my old bed.

I dip my brush into the subtle glittery eyeshadow and glide it across my eyelids. Taking my blue eyeliner and perfecting that before finishing with my lip balm. As I'd gotten old, I've come to love different types of makeup but I still don't wear it that often and when I do, it's usually subtle with a hint of bold.

Matty sits up and helps me fasten the blue dress I had on. He kisses up my neck, stopping below my ear "Ethreal without even trying."

I lean in to kiss him, his hand moving to cup my bum. "You always taste like cherries." He hums.

I straddle his lap as he keeps a tight grip on me, my fingers dance along his jawline "I'm so lucky to have you." I whisper.

"We have each other, always." Matty says softly, rubbing our noses together before kissing me again.

The rest of the evening was lovely, Denise and Lincoln joined us for the meal. The 9 of us laughing and enjoying each other's company after being separated for months. Matty and I telling stories of tour life, Louis had just been on his first high school trip, Atticus and Jules were starting up their own business. My parents were still very much in love with each other and were looking forward to their holiday coming up and Denise was doing amazing.