The Band

We were in the music department of the school, there was me, Matty, Ross, Adam and Adam's girlfriend Mia who just doesn't seem to like me even after all these months. We were chatting away when Matty stopped, everyone in tow and pointed ahead.

A boy, around 5'10 or so was stood leaning against the wall outside a music room, his hair was scraggly and he wore black doc martens on his feet like me. Something about this boy intrigued me and I knew Matty well enough to know it did him too.

"That's George, he's in my sisters year." Hann spoke quietly so we wouldn't catch George's attention. "I've heard he plays drums actually."

We all look at each other in unison as Matty walks off with a swagger towards George.

He stops in front of the new boy, startling him so that George falls into the bin behind him and goes crashing down. Matty looks back at us over his shoulder and raises his eyebrows and I signal for him to help.

He huffs and leans forward to lend a hand at getting George out of the bin. "Iya lad, didn't mean to scare ya like that. d'ya wanna play drums in our band?" He said casually, pointing over to us as if he hadn't just caused this boy to fall in a bin.

George peers over as we all wave a hello and he shrugs "Yeah alright, I'm George by the way."

"Matty, how come I've never seen you round here before?" Matty asks curiously.

He walks over to us with Matty before answering "Well I just moved here from Seattle so it's kinda my first day here." he says, I could tell I was going to like this kid.

"Seattle? That's sick, I'm Bea by the way. I love your hair. I'm not in the band, I just cheer." I tell him happily. He smiles at me shyly. The boys took this as their cue to introduce themselves as well.

"I'm Adam, this is my girlfriend Mia." he says pointing to his side to a fed up Mia. "I play guitar in the band." Hann speaks up.

"And I'm Ross, the bass player. Nice to meet ya mate." Ross adds.

"What do you play then Sonic the hedgehog?" George looks at Matty, referring to his spiked hair. I couldn't hold the laugh that slipped through my lips as Matty rolled his eyes.

"Good one giant, I sing obviously." Matty grunts out.

I turn to look at Ross who was very much enjoying the encounter in front of him, Hann telling Mia he'd see her later before she left for class. Matty and George still bickering between each other, Ross and Hann look down at me and I nod my head in approval.

"Anyways if you two are done, we sit at the table nearest the wall on the left in the canteen at lunch. If you wanna join us, that's where we'll be." I tell him, he was our friend now and therefore had to be christened to the table.

"Alright, I'll see you all later. I got music to get too." George points in the direction of the classroom he'd been stood outside previously before we interrupted him.

George had joined us for lunch, cracking jokes and sharing stories of Seattle. I had learnt he was born in Belgium but moved to Seattle and recently moved here to Wilmslow

The boys had decided to have a band practice after school to practice, I was invited as usual but I told them I'd stay for one song as I'd promised Mum I'd have tea with her seeing as it was her only night off.

The end of the day soon came, us all meeting at the front gate as usual before heading over to Matty's where for once Denise greeted us at the front door.
I make my way in, Denise coming to give Matty and I a hug before greeting the boys, we introduced her to George and she invited them all to stay for tea.

We all huddle in the kitchen, I make everyone drinks as Matty requested whilst he made silly faces at Louis who was happily giggling in his high chair at the table and the boys were sat at the table.

I open the backdoor and they follow in tow, heading to the cabin and taking my spot on the sofa whilst Hann and Matty showed George the set up. Ross came and plopped himself down next to me "You think he's any good?" he nods discreetly in the direction of George who was taking his place behind the drums.

"I reckon he's better than good, he looks like a proper drummer dude." I say, I don't know why but I could just tell he was good.

They all agreed on a song and off they went and they sounded really good. George was the missing piece and I knew that if they practiced they'd be even better than good.

The song finished and I clapped. The lads all look at each other beaming with happiness. I announce that I really have to leave and told them they sounded good before giving them all high fives and walking to the door. As I turn the door handle, Matty shouts "Tell Alice I miss her and that I say hi." referring to my mum.

"Will do, Marty."

"So.... any special boys in your life? Or girls, whichever you prefer." My mum asks, shovelling more popcorn into her mouth. It was just us two tonight and we'd decided on a girly night, we now lay on my parents bed top and tail whilst eating popcorn.

I take a second to answer "No, no one special at the minute. I'm pretty sure either Dad or Atticus would kill me considering I'm 14." I tell her. She hums in agreement and replies "Sting, you shouldn't be afraid to date because of your Dad and Brother. They only care for you, just like I do but you're allowed to date. So long as you don't let them ruin your education or get you pregnant."

I munch on my popcorn, we'd always had this kind of close relationship where we joked around and were open with each other.

"Don't worry Mum, boys avoid me like the plague." I tell her honestly.

She sits up from her position, "What about Matty?" she asks.

I frown in confusion "What about him?"

"Do you like him? I think he likes you." she says, talking as if she knew something I didn't.

"Uh no, we're best friends. He has girls in our year after him since they found out he's in a band and trust me he's loving the attention."

Mum plays with my hair and murmurs something, I could make out a faint "Both so blind, it'll soon change." but that was it.