Prom

School had finished a few weeks ago, our school of course had decided to host a prom. Proms are very American but since they're so popular in films it's kind of caught on over here. I was going with Ross and George, Matty was taking Cerys and Adam was taking Mia.

George has decided he wasn't fussed in finding a date and told me "You're my number one, I can't betray you like that" to which I rolled my eyes and told him that was a load of rubbish and it's really because the girl he liked had a date. Ross had asked me after a) finding out Matty was taking a girl and b) we were best friends and he didn't want to lead anyone on when it wouldn't go anywhere.

I had made my own dress from scratch, the top half was silk and I'd found a lace / crotchet pattern I liked so I sewed it onto the material. The bottom half was netting, a variation of mink, soft purples and a cream top. I wasn't really one for dresses so decided this was the best idea, plus no one else would have it and I didn't fancy any awkward encounters with the girls in my year. They all took prom very seriously for some reason and I didn't want to fight over a stupid dress.

It was prom night in a few hours, the boys had decided we should rent a car so the 5 of us pitched in and it would come and collect us all at 7pm

It was prom night in a few hours, the boys had decided we should rent a car so the 5 of us pitched in and it would come and collect us all at 7pm. Cerys had refused to pay and wanted Matty to take her separately but he quickly put his foot down and said we were going as a group.
I paid for her place, wanting everyone to have a good night together seeing as this was our last proper night as high school kids. I didn't care whether she liked me or not I just didn't want drama.

I was currently sitting on my floor, back against my bed whilst I read On The Road for the umpteenth time. I was humming along to the Peter Gabriel vinyl I had put on, about to turn the page of my book when my bedroom door opened.

My mum walked over to me, sitting down next to me on the floor before speaking "I think you may be the only teenager in Wilmslow right now who's reading a book rather than getting ready for prom" she noted. I turn to find her smiling softly at me before I shrug.

"S'not really my thing mum, I don't mean dances I mean just the whole makeup and hair malarkey. I'm happy with my trusty mascara and lip balm" I tell her, quickly making note of the page I'm on before closing the book.

"I can't believe you've finished school already, my little sting all ready for the big world." she starts tearing up and I pull her into an embrace, rubbing her back. "It's ok mum, let it all out" I tell her, she always gets emotional about Atticus and I growing up but since he's gone to college her main attention is on me.

She eventually pulled back and wiped under her eyes, taking my hand and pulling me up with her. I could tell she needed some mother/daughter time so I pulled out my curling wand and asked her to do it. She happily obliged, I knew she was really feeling it tonight so I wanted her to know I appreciated her.