The 1975

It was our last day in Majorca, we were sat in a quaint little café, I was reading the text Ross had sent me about him picking us up from the airport when we arrive home later today.

Matty was humming a soft tune, flicking through the pages of Elio's copy of 'The Dharma Bums', it seems our new friend was also a big a fan of Kerouac's work. It was a first edition and the binding was worn showing the book had been greatly appreciated through its lifetime.

I took a sip of my orange juice, having placed my phone down after replying to Ross, I took in my surroundings. I'd enjoyed spending the week with Matty, the two of us had just revelled in each other's company. It was Matty's idea, ever since we'd started dating all those months ago he's super clingy, not that I'm complaining.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Matty leans forward with the book in his hands, a look of bewilderment encased his face "Look at this, it's mental" he says passing me the book.

The last page of the book showed a page filled with scribblings, upon further inspection I couldn't tell whether this was a suicidal note or life affirming, either way it was mad.

I look up to Matty who had scooted his chair closer to me, now leaning on my shoulder and reading the same writing as I. We read in silence, trying to make understanding of the page when I noticed something at the top of the page, a date.

"Look at the date, 1st June. The 1975. What's with the The?" I point it out.

"1st June, The 1975" Matty tries it out, letting it roll off the tongue easily. I could almost see the cogs turning in his brain, something about the way this date was written, something about the added 'The' had taken him. "I like that" he concluded.

I lean into his side more "C'mon pretty boy, let's not dwell on it too much. I want to visit the beach one last time before we leave."

"Then your wish is my command" Matty says before standing up abruptly and pulling me towards the sea.

"Alright listen, so I think we should change the band name" Matty tells the lads, he hadn't shut up on the flight home over the page.

We were now gathered in Matty's cabin, Hann and I laying on one of the sofa's, George perched on the drum kit and Ross was sat on the floor with his head resting against my feet. Matty was pacing the room, gesticulating his hands all over the place.

"I thought you liked Drive Like I Do? We've had like 74 different names" George grumbles.

"Yeah but listen, Muse and I met this artist in Majorca and we spent the day with him. Anyways he gave us a load of beat up old generation books and I was reading one and there was this mental page at the back of one of his books and the page was dated "1st June. The 1975." Matty excitedly tells everyone.

Hann is next to speak up "Of course you spent the day with a random artist, very Matty and Bea-esque" I laugh at this, it wasn't really a surprise, he continued "Sounds lovely but June 1st, 1975? Just sounds like a normal date, what about it?"

"It's not a normal date though Hann, you forget the 'The.' The 1975, that's something."

"Right so you want us to be called June 1st The 1975? No offence but that's not very catchy" George said in the most confused tone, it didn't take much to confuse him.

Ross chimes in "No dumbfuck he wants us to be called The 1975." Matty claps at this, George still looking confused and Adam I'm pretty sure was on the verge of falling asleep.

"Exactly. The 1975, catchy innit? Jamie's gonna love it!" Matty looks to me for encouragement and I couldn't say no to that face.

"I think it's different. You'll definitely stand out on the market, it's catchy" I give my opinion.

After a few moments the boys all collectively agree that "The 1975" was their new name. They are rebranding, appointing me, as always to design a logo. 

We decide to go inside and get some food, bumping into Denise in the kitchen. She smiles up at us from her position on the sofa, asking how we were.

Matty told her about the new band name, she approved of it.