chapter 2

Ma'Agnes POV

That evening Ma' Agnes prepared dinner for Kayla. She eyed Kayla skeptically as she tossed the food around her plate and only nibbled at her green salad. Ma'Agnes dished a spoonful of papa, spinach and beef, she pushed the plate towards her granddaughter.

 Ma'Agnes dished a spoonful of papa, spinach and beef, she pushed the plate towards her granddaughter

"I don't understand how children of today think that a salad can be considered a meal. Eat child, you are as thin as a rake and it's not good for a pregnant lady. You have to feed that child. Ngwanaka you have to know that you are eating for two now." Ma' Agnes commanded with a serious tone.

Kayla beamed at her grandmother before she picked the meat, sunk her teeth into it and teared at it.

The food was scrumptious so she devoured the contents in her plate. What she found amusing was that her grandmother always considered her petite figure as thin. Her grandmother always tried to fatten her up whenever she visited. The old lady knew her way around the kitchen which was a trait that Kayla inherited.

Ma' Agnes saw a smile form in her granddaughters face as she ate the food and she smirked. This was her child's daughter and she had vowed to never let her her down. She had promised Puleng, her daughter amd Kayla's mother on the day of her burial that she would take care of young Kayla. She had stood in front of her daughter's grave and swore to protect little Kayla and to raise her with love.

She was proud of the lady that Kayla  had turned out to be. She was intelligent, respectful, beautiful and she was caring. Ma'Agnes decided that she would have to deal with this issue of Michael.

Ma' Agnes had thought that Michael was what her granddaughter needed after all the hardships she went through in life. She had been happy when Michael and his uncles came to ask for Kayla's hand in marriage. Everything was perfect, from the lobola negotiations to the big wedding they had in the yard back at home.

Ma'Agnes snapped from her thoughts and initiated small talks with her granddaughter to get her mind off things. Once she made sure that Kayla was asleep she called Michael's mother. They had to talk face to face, woman to woman.

Thulisiwe, Michael's mother was a kind lady and she had shown a great deal of love and care to Kayla throughout the marriage. But Ma'Agnes was still disappointed at the way things fell off between their kids and a part of her blamed Thulisiwe for not disciplining her son well enough.

Kayla's POV

Kayla woke up to a heated colloquy between her grandmother and someone. The voices were distant from the bedroom so she sluggishly dawdled to the sitting room to see her grandmother and mother in law in a heated conversation , each with a steaming cup of tea in hand.

When Thulisiwe saw Kayla she got up to give her a hug. Kayla let her engulf her into the hug, it was full of love and comfort. Kayla couldn't help the tears that silently streamed down her face.

Thembi Matshali as Thulisiwe

"Oh my beautiful daughter. Its okay ngwanaka , it's okay my girl". Thuli said as she held Kayla at arm length and rubbed her tears away with her  thumb.
Kayla felt her throat contract with all the trolls of emotions and she didn't  manage to speak. She was tired and  overwhelmed with so many emotions. She blamed the pregnancy  hormones, they were messing up her emotions.

"I am his wife Ma and he just upped and left like I mean nothing to him. Why is he doing this to us? He is your son Ma maybe he told you, maybe I did something tell me what went wrong please?" Kayla pleaded.

"I don't know what got into Michael sweetheart, he isn't talking to me and he is even screening my calls. You did nothing wrong my love, he is the one in the wrong here. Don't blame yourself." Thulisiwe reassured her.

"How can I not blame myself? He cheated on me and gave up on us, the marriage and everything. I am so angry at your son that I feel like busting any minute. Michael is a self centered man, he could at least told me what went wrong. Or at least asked how I'm doing since I am pregnant with his child but no he is so enmeshed with that home wrenching bitch ." Kayla lashed out.

"I get you are angry. I understand....."

"What exactly do you understand Ma? I gave your son ten good years of my life. I was everything he wanted me to be. I stayed loyal to him, I was strong for him at his weakest moments. I was his rock, I gave him hope in darkest moments and I was his joy. I am even carrying his heir for heaven sake  but he just threw that all  on my face."

"He is just lost Kay, he will realise his mistake and he will fix everything."

"He broke me, I actually thought by now he would be back to his senses but no. He is destroying everything beyond repair. He is dead to me and my baby and whenever he decide to wakes from this love trance that he is in I won't be waiting for him. There won't be a place for him in my life." Kayla vowed to herself.

"Please Kay....... you are saying that because you are hurting. I know you love my son and don't forget he is the father of this child". Thulisiwe tried to reason with her.

"If he really is the father of this child he would be here trying to write his wrong but he is not even making an effort. And if he really love me he shouldn't be cheating on me."

"Kayla, wetsa dibete ngwanaka. Michael is still your husband and he is......." Ma'Agnes was interrupted when she tried to voice her thoughts.

"I respect you Ma and I don't wanna end up saying some hurtful things so could we please stop talking about Michael. I have had enough for a day." Kayla interrupted her grandmother  before she could finish her sentence.

She excused heraelf ans went to her bedroom. She took a long hot shower before joining the women downstaris. Thulisiwe spent the whole day with them and she even stayed for dinner but everything was all awkward. Kayla was not interested in hearing them talk about how she should fight for her marriage. The small talks were not working so they decided to cut the dinner short.