CHAPTER 27

Kayla's POV

The following day Kayla had to pop into the office for a few hours so she called Bontle to baby sit. Bontle arrived fifteen minutes later wearing some blue jeans and a big T-shirt. She had one of her chic backpacks with her.

Because Kayla had wifi Bontle bought her books to go through them when Ayanna was napping. Bontle was now  quite attached to Ayanna. At six months, the little girl was adorable. She was a copy of her mother, with long eye lashes and eyes dark as melted molasses. Bontle was always fascinated by the little girl's beauty. She could see that Ayanna would grow up to be a stunning lady.

Her heart went to Ayanna because she would grow up with divorced parents. Bontle knew very well how difficult it is to grow up in such an arrangement. She had watched what divorce did to her mother. Bontle was the one who had to take care of her younger sibling after her father divorced their mother. Her baby brother didn't know what was going on around that time but Bontle was old enough to understand.

She was snapped from her trail of thoughts by the cooing baby sounds that Ayanna made. Bontle played with Ayanna until the baby was tired and ready for her nap. After putting her to sleep, Bontle decided to prepare for her exams. She couldn't concentrate, she knew it was time to tell Mimi who she babysit for.

She had dodged Mimi's questions when she enquired about her employer. She was still not sure of how Mimi will take the news that she was babysitting for Kayla. Bontle knew that Mimi put up a facade and acted strong around her but sometimes she could hear her silent  cries at night. 

Mimi's POV

Mimi was trying to find a job for the school vacations. She went to Main deck to drop off her applications. She had spent the whole day dropping applications around restaurant, stores, bars and food outlets. She was hoping that a good Samaritan would take pity on her and hire her.

Bontle had disappeared on her  mystery baby sitting job. Mimi found it odd that her friend was being secretive on who she was baby sitting for. Normally she gushed about her employers and how adorable their babies are. But her latest employer was a mystery to Mimi, her friend was not giving anything away in regards to her employer.

Since she had a long day she decided to sit down for a drink after giving the manager her application. She was slowly sipping on her pinkman cocktail, liking the lingering taste of vodka and Smirnoff on her tongue. Her eyes wondering around the place until it fell on a group of nicely dressed men.

They had just entered Main deck and a hostess was showing them to their table. One of the man turned out around and she was flabbergasted to see Michael staring deeply into her  eyes. She quickly averted her eyes and stared into her glass. She concentrated on her drink until she saw a shadow form before her.

"Hello Mimi." That husky low-pitched voice greeted her. She didn't have to raise her eyes to see who it was because the voice and the earthly  sandalwood smell were a great give away.

"What do you want Michael?" She vehemently asked. It was painful to be that close to him and not being able to touch him.

"I just want to say I'm sorry." He pulled the chair opposite her and sat down. He looked thinner than the last time she saw him. It looked like he had the whole world on his shoulders. Her hands ached to touch the dark stubble on his cheek.

"And why is that?" She asked, still refusing to look into his eyes. She was afraid that if she was to look into his eyes she would break down. He had made it clear that he was not in love with her.

"Because I led you on and I used you. I never meant to hurt you Mimi. The last couple of months I have hurt people I cared about. And I do care about you too Mimi." He sounded sincere, which made things really hard for Mimi. She realised that she could never hate him no matter how hard she tried.