CHAPTER 48

Kayla's POV

A week had passed since the weekend away with Sibusiso. Kayla had made peace with the fact that Anessa will always hate her even though she did nothing to her. Anessa had refused to meet and bid them goodbye the day  they have left the resort. Kayla exchanged numbers with Kitso and Thando and they occasionally talked on whatsapp. 

Ngubane had been nice and told her that she was always welcome in his house. Kayla was happy that Sibusiso and his father were trying to mend things. When they left, Ngubane hugged Sibusiso for the first time ever. Kayla didn't miss the troll of emotions she saw flecker in Sibusiso's eyes. He had been close to tears.

On the way to the airport Sibusiso had thanked her, saying she was the one who managed to break through the barriers between him and his father. Her little outburst had caused his father to evaluate his actions towards him and his sister. Sibusiso told her that his father even promised to try and be supportive of  his career choices.

It was two weeks before christmas, soft carols of Christmas played as Ayanna watched a Christmas movie. Kayla didn't believe that she understood what was happening but the girl was fully focused on the movie. Ayanna was learning how to walk. The previous day she took her first steps and she had cried when she fell on her bottoms. Kayla taped the moment on camera and sent the short clip to both Sibusiso and Michael. Just like Michael, Sibusiso played a father figure in Ayanna's life. Even Michael was starting to warm up to Sibusiso and nothing could make her happier.

Her phone rang and she saw Thulisiwe's number. She answered cheerfully but her mood dampened the moment she heard the words that left the woman's mouth.

"Kayla, how can you do that to my son? He had been so committed to make things work with you but you shoved his effort down his throat." Thulisiwe shouted at the other end of the line.

"Ma, what are you talking about?" Kayla asked calmly.

"What is this I hear of you being with another man? Apparently the media captured you two together at his family resort in Kasane. How can you give up so easily in your marriage?"

"Thulisiwe please, don't forget that your son divorced me. I don't owe him any thing." Kayla retorted, she was not going to take the insults laying down.

"How can you say that? Michael divorced you because you deceived him into believing that you had an affair. You owe him a second chance. Your lies led to this situation. He made a stupid mistake, do you want to punish him for the rest of his life?"

"Now you are trying to make me lose my mind. Your son lied and cheated on me, that is not just some kind of a mistake. Forgetting our anniversary, that's a mistake but cheating, moving in with your mistress and filing for divorce is not a mistake. Your son's actions led to our divorce. Don't try to shift the blame when things don't go your way. I know you want me to get back with your son but it's not going to happen. I'm happy and in love with someone else, the sooner you accept that the better for everyone." Kayla terminated the call before Thulisiwe could say anything else.

Kayla was angry. Just after dealing with a potential evil mother in law, the ex mother in law makes an appearance. She knew that Michael's mother was keen on them getting back together. But it was low for the woman to try and emotionally abuse and blackmail her. Michael was fine with her moving on, who the hell did his mother think she was?

When Michael came over in the evening to pick Ayanna up for the sleepover she told him about his mother's phone call. Michael was livid, he told her that his mother was out of line. Even though his mother was old fashioned and didn't believe in a divorce, he didn't condone her actions. He promised to have a serious talk with her.