CHAPTER 31

Kayla's POV

Kayla was woken by the soft tune of Elaine's You're the one, it was her ringtone. She drowsily searched for her phone with her hands. When she didn't find it she dragged her body up and found her phone at the far end of the night stand.

The stray  golden and crimson rays harshly blinded her eyes. She blinked a few times to get used to the light before she picked up her phone.

"Hello Miss King. I just wanted to let you know that I alerted Mrs De Punt and the other guests that you had a family emergency  that's why you had to leave. They were all so understanding and some guests left their numbers for you to contact them when you are  ready."

"Thank you so much Valery." Her voice was husky from sleep and she could hardly recognise it herself.

"How is Ayanna doing?" Valery asked after a hesitant moment.

"When we left the hospital she was stable and I think that was a good sign. I will learn more today." She answered, it was more of a reassurance to herself.

"I'm sorry Miss  King, I hope she get better soon."

"Thank you Valery, I will see you on Monday." She hanged up the phone.

When she got up from her bed, her whole body was sore. It was most probably because she had spent hours seating on an uncomfortable hospital bench. She took a shower and she couldn't suppress a moan as the hot water beat down on her stiff muscles and trailed down her body. She felt the tension leave her body as the shower sprayed down on her. It was such a delightful feeling.

She  got dressed after her satisfying shower and decided to pick up Ayanna's favourite things. She picked her fluffy blanket, her favourite stuffed bunny toy and some few staff that she believed would be important.

Her stomach growled loudly, she realised that it had been almost twelve hours since she last ate something. She settled on fried eggs, bacon and toast. While she was still preparing her meal she heard a knock.

She opened the door to see Sibusiso standing on her doorstep wearing some washed of blue jeans and a white golf T-shirt. Kayla admired how he looked sexy in everything he wore.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" She asked flabbergasted. He gave her his signature panty dropping smile and she felt her inside do a little flip.

"I came to see how you are doing. I also wanted to see if you needed a ride to the hospital." He looked genuinely interested on how she was doing.

"I'm holding up as best as I can. It was not easy leaving her at the hospital."

"I can imagine how hard this is for you."

Kayla offered a sad smile before opening the door further for him to enter. She guided him to the kitchen where he sat and watched her finish preparing breakfast. When she offered to dish for him he declined and opted to just watch her eat.

Sibusiso was fascinated by how she ate the hearty breakfast with no care  of him watching her. After a silent moment he decided to speak.

"My visit is also kind of selfish. I wanted to see you before  I fly out to Zimbabwe."

He saw the disappointment on her face. Though he didn't really know her that much, she still intrigued him. He wanted to get to know her better  and he didn't want to leave her in the moment that she needed someone.

"Oh you are leaving already?" She tried to hide the disappointment but it couldn't be disguised from her voice. She lightly nibbled at her bacon and eyed him.

"I will be back after a week. I just have some business to take care of that side." He explained.

"Thanks for yesterday. You barely know me but you took time to accompany me to the hospital and you stayed with me. That is very kind. It's refreshing to find someone so kind and compassionate this days."

"Everybody needs a helping hand once in a lifetime. One day it will be you returning the favour." He responded with a wink. Kayla laughed at his playfulness.

The drive to the hospital was a quick one and when they arrived she was surprised to see Michael already at the hospital. He was seating outside Ayanna's room looking uncomfortable. Kayla didn't miss the jealous look that flashed through his eyes when he saw her with Sibusiso. She greeted him and introduced him to Sibusiso. Sibusiso hovered over Michael who gave him a look over.

"What are you doing here Michael?" Kayla asked, trying to dissolve the macho tension around her. Michael looked at her as if she was crazy to ask him that.

"What kind of question is that? You know I came to see my daughter." He sneered at her. Kayla rolled her eyes at his little outburst.

"Did you go inside to see her?"
She saw how his eyes flecked and knew that he hasn't been  to see Ayanna. He nervously fiddled with his arms and avoided her accusing stare.

"I think it's best I stay here. She doesn't know me yet so I wouldn't want to frighten her."

"Those are just excuses Michael. I thought you wanted to get to know your daughter. You know what, I don't have time for this. I have a baby girl who just had a major surgery so I'm gonna be with her now."

"Kay......"

"No, you are a real piece of shit Michael" She left him looking perplexed and went to her daughter's room. She first had to 0ut on protective clothing. She kissed her daughter's forehead and sat in the chair beside  the bed. She took out the Little Red Riding Hood book and continued the story where they last left it.

Sibusiso watched from the glass window, he saw the emotions displayed in her lovely face as she read the book to the little girl. Taking a good look at the little girl he could see that she was a copy of her mother. He admired the love he saw in her face for her daughter.

Kayla felt Sibusiso's penetrating gaze and raised her eyes to stare at him for a brief second. She offered him a smile and continued to read to Ayanna. Kayla heard a little whimper and put the book down.

"Hey my baby. My beautiful baby girl." Kayla said tearfully as she pressed kisses along her baby's face. As if recognising her mother's voice Ayanna threw her tiny arms in the air for her  mother to pick her up.

Ayanna was afraid to move her because of the machines connected to her so she just petted her upper belly. Ayanna let out a series of whimpers but Kayla left sloppy kisses on her forehead, probing a giggle. Sibusiso entered the room in his own protective clothing, he went to Kayla to offer a supporting squeeze on her shoulder. Kayla learned back on his hand and sighed deeply.

The whole interaction between Kayla and Sibusiso didn't go unnoticed by Micheal. He hated how a stranger got to be in the same room as his baby but he couldn't. It wasn't because it was forbidden for him to get inside the room but he was terrified on what to do once he was inside.

He stared  longingly as Kayla ushered their baby with kisses. When he felt like he couldn't stare anymore he left and vowed to come back in the evening. Kayla spent most of her morning in Ayanna's room with Sibusiso by her side. She had called her grandmother to inform her that Ayanna was sick. Her grandmother had wanted to come visit but Kayla knew how stressful the journey to the city was on her grandmother so she vowed to update her on any new developments. The doctor passed by Ayanna's room and he was satisfied by Ayanna's progress so far.

He also informed her that Ayanna wouldn't need a follow up surgery. Around lunch Sibusiso manages to pry her from the hospital. She didn't want to leave but after his constant begging she decided to go with him.

Ayanna was asleep and she was hungry so she saw it as a way of killing two birds with one stone.
Sibusiso took her to a little cosy fast foods restaurant a few miles  from the hospital. She ordered a cheese burger and some fries and a strawberry milkshake while he settled on a steak, fries  and orange juice. They silently ate their meals before Sibusiso broke the silence.