CHAPTER 23

Kayla's POV

Kayla tried very hard to calm herself but she couldn't. She took a deep breath before calling her ex-mother in law. The phone rang twice before Thulisilwe answered. She didn't bother with the greetings.

" Ma, I respect you and everything but you really crossed the line when you came to my house and had my daughter's DNA tested. How could you betray my trust like that?" She asked as calmly as she could manage. The way she was angry, it was visibly showing, even her body was shaking.

"Makoti....." Thulisiwe tried to respond but Kayla interrupted her before she got very far.

"Ma, you came into my house, probed or did whatever it was that you did to my daughter without my permission. How could you even do that when you know very well that Ayanna is a sensitive child?" She felt violated, she felt that her daughter was violated.

"Makoti I didn't do anything that could hurt Ayanna. You know I love that little girl. I just look a swab from her inner cheek." Thulisiwe explained how she gained Ayanna's DNA.

" You had no right to do that Ma." Kayla snapped at the older woman. Under normal conditions, she would never raise her voice at an elder. But this way no ordinary condition, her daughter was involved and she was overly protective of her.

" I did what is right and you know it" Thulisiwe said proudly. She wanted Michael to know the truth so that he  and Kayla could work things out because she believed they loved each other.

"What is right for who Ma? Your useless, spineless son? Or did you do that just to feel good about yourself for raising such a failure as a son?" The words fell from her mouth because she could filter them. Even she was surprised with her own outburst.

"Kayla Modise I know you are angry but that's no way to talk to your elders." Thulisiwe reprimanded sternly. The old woman took no disrespect from anyone, she even used her marriage name.

"Ma you don't know just how angry I am with you. You betrayed the trust I had for you with my daughter."

" I know I betrayed your trust and I'm sorry but I did what I thought was right for my granddaughter."

"And who gave you the right to decide what is best for my daughter? I am her mother and I get to decide what is best for her." Kayla was getting impatient with Thulisiwe. The woman didn't even want to admit that she was wrong.

"Just as you are doing what's good for your daughter I am also doing what is best for my child. Ayanna deserves a father in her life."

"Ma, Michael is a grown ass man who can make his decision. The reason why I don't want him in my daughter's life is because I want someone who is stable in Ayanna's life. I don't want her to be exposed to the life your son life. I want my daughter to have people she can always rely on."  Kayla tried to reason with the older woman.

"Kayla....."

"No Ma. This should be the last time you go behind my back when it comes to my daughter. Next time you do something like this you will never see your granddaughter again. Now I have to live with your son all up in my business." Kayla cut the call before she could say anything that she would end up regretting .

"This is what I get every time I trust the God damn Modise's." Kayla hissed to herself as she threw her hands in the air.

She spent the whole day in a nasty mood. The staff stayed out of her way because she was quick to snap, something that she had never done before.  Everyone was on edge around her, not that they could blame her as they saw Michael enter and leave her office.

When she knocked off she rushed home. She was dying to hold her baby in her hands. It was Wednesday so Bontle was babysitting. She found her in the living room playing with Ayanna.

Kayla picked up her little girl and she held her tightly against her own body. Her angelic baby smell filled her nostrils and she breathed deeply into the smell. As if sensing her mother's  distress Kayla wrapped her little hands against her mother's neck.

After a few moment she felt calm enough, her mood was better. She took Kayla with her to the bedroom to change into some this
thights and a tank top.

 She took Kayla with her to the bedroom to change into some this thights and a tank top

After changing they joined Bontle who was laughing at something on her phone after .

"Is anything the matter?" Bontle asked, she had seen the state that Kayla was in when she arrived from the office. The way she clung to her daughter as if the baby was likely to disappear any minute.

"It's nothing much. I don't wanna burden you with my problems." Kayla responded, offering Bontle a small smile.

"It's okay you can confide in me. I have been told that I am a great listener."

Kayla was touched that Bontle was showing concern to her.
"I'm not sure I should talk to you about this since it concerns your friend."

"I understand." Bontle said sadly. She understood why Kayla was not letting her in. She was a friend with someone who broke Kayla's home.

"Don't take it the wrong way Bontle. I like you and you have been so good with my baby. I just don't want you to have to choose between me and your friend." She explained when she saw hurt flash in Bontle's eyes.

"You are a good woman Kayla and you don't deserve all the bad things happening to you." Bontle said genuinely.

They spent the following minutes talking about this and that. When they talked about school, Kayla couldn't help but feel proud of Bontle. The girl was passionate about law. Her eyes lit up when Kayla asked how school was going. Since the semester was close to ending, Bontle informed Kayla that she wanted to stay for a while in the city. She wanted to keep babysitting before she went back home.

Kayla respected Bontle for the fact that she was hustling for herself and her family. She believed that the girl will go places if she kept up the good hustle.

After Bontle left, Kayla called her friends over. They ordered food  and spent the night indulging in some fast foods and watching some mushy movies. Mekyla and Tasha were furious when they learnt what Thulisiwe had done. But they were mostly mad at Michael who acted like a victim in the whole fiasco. Kayla loved how supportive her friends have been about the whole situation