CHAPTER 38

Kayla's POV

After her talk yesterday with the girls, Kayla decided it was time for her and Sibusiso to talk. She wanted to know more about him. He was always invasive when she wanted to know more about him and his family. After leaving Mekyla's house with a banging hangover she had called him over.

She was now nervously waiting for him to arrive. Ayanna was sitting beside the couch, playing with her building block, oblivious to the emotional troll her mother was in. She checked her watch once again to see how long it has been since she had called him. Twenty minutes has elapsed when meant he would be arriving anytime soon.

She heard the lock rattle and the door slide open as Sibusiso let himself. He called out for her and she told him to come to the living room. Sibusiso paused by the door when he saw the worried look in her eyes. He was nervous about what she wanted to talk about. He knew that woman were unpredictable creatures.

"Hey..." She greeted timidly, which was not what Sibusiso expected. She always greeted him eagerly with a kiss. Looking at her now, he saw the way she was nervously rubbing her hands.

"Baby now you are having me worried. What's going on?" Sibusiso asked worryingly walking towards her but her words stopped him in his tracks.

"Can you sit down please, we have to talk?" There was a nervous smile on her lovely face.

"Normally when a woman says we have to talk it's not a good idea." He said mockingly but she didn't find it funny.

"Yesterday I learned something about you. Why have you been omitting information about yourself and your family?" Her melodious voice was soft, almost in a whisper.

"What did you hear?" He swallowed nervously.

"Your father is not only a hospital owner but he is a savvy business tycoon who owns chains of lodges and hotels. Why did you only tell me the half of it? You even failed to tell me that you are a famous novelist? Why?".

"It's just that many woman have been attracted to me because of my success and my father's money. Then I met you, you didn't even know about my family before and I loved the fact that you were blind to the fact that I was rich." He immediately regretted those words when he saw her beautiful eyes darken with hurt. He regretted how he made it seem like he was implying that she was a gold digger. 

"Did you think that if I knew that you were rich I was going to claim a stake? Do you think me so cheap that I will change when I learn that you have money?" The hurt that laced her voice tugged at his heart.

"Babe no, it's not that."

"I have my own money Sibusiso. I know it might not amount to what your family is worth but I still have my own money. I think you don't trust me that's why you omitted that information." She accused.

"Babe please listen to me. I like you very much. I have never been attracted to a woman the way I am to you. Believe me when I say that I trust you. I didn't tell you about how rich my family is because I have distanced myself from the family business. I don't know why I didn't tell you that I write novels. I think maybe it's the fact that it's been a while since I have written something. Baby my family is dysfunctional that's why I'm trying to distance you from it. You are pure, nice, kind and you care about others. You are everything that my family isn't, you are like a breath of fresh and I'm trying to protect you from my spiteful family." Kayla was touched by the genuineness she heard in his voice.

"Baby you have to trust me and talk to me. I want you to be open with me because I like you too. I'm stronger than I look Sbu. Allow me to be there for you like you are always there for me. A relationship without trust can never work."

"I'm sorry baby. Ask me about anything and I promise to be truthful with you." He went over to her and pulled her into a bone crushing hug. He had been so scared when she said she wanted to talk. He thought maybe she wanted to break up with now.

Kayla asked him about his family, where he grew up and the things that he liked. He gave her a brief introduction on his family.  Mostly about why he was cut off from the rest of the family. He told her that his mother blamed him for her early retirement in the modelling industry.

His mother Anessa had fallen pregnant to the business tycoon, Ngubane when she was only 25. By then she was an upcoming model with the bright future. She was the brand ambassador for nivea, clere and Calvin Klein.  His  mother, a stunning woman even to date had been devasted when agency cut her off due to the pregnancy. She had hated the the effects that the pregnancy had on her body. Even though she still maintains her slim figure, she always complained about the stretch marks that the pregnancies left on her body.

Ngubane, Sibusiso's father had fell in love with his mother and he didnt hesitate to marry her. He was ten years her senior and he dotted on his young bride with expensive gifts. His mother had been living lavishly since then and she had never been interested in working again. He narrated to her how he and his sister were raised by countless nannies while their parents travelled around the world.

Sibusiso told her how he reminded his mother of what she lost. That's why since he was young she has been controlling every aspect of his life. When he went to study abrood and did double major in Creative arts and English his mother was horrified. His father was livid and he nearly had a heart attack because he has hoped that Sibusiso would follow in his foot step. He went on to explain how his mother tried to turn her nerdy, book loving baby sister into a world class model. His mother had tries to live her dream through Rati but he intervened when he saw that his sister hated it.

He went on to explain that the final straw that made him to distance himself from his family was when his parents tried to arrange a marriage between him and his childhood friend Thando. Thando had loved the idea because being married to him was marrying into money. He had hated having every aspect of his life controlled so he packed and went to Zimbabwe where he settled in Victoria's city and became a famous artist for tourists. He came back to Botswana a year ago and he did come occasionally during holidays and annual parties that his parents threw. Now at thirty six he was living a life of his own with no interventions.

Kayla felt sorry for him, a child needed caring, supportive and loving parents. For him to grow up in a family where the parents couldn't show affection must have affected him and his sister's childhood.

She told him about her own parents and how they died tragically in a car accident. They were killed in a collision with a drunken driver who surprisingly survived the accident. She also told him about her wonderful, caring grandmother and Uncle who raised her with the love that any child could need.

Sibusiso envied the sparkle in her eyes as she talked about the people who raised her. He wished for the kind of love she grew up with. He wished that just once one of his parents could have told him that they loved him and were proud of him. He knew that in his family that will be like wishing for the stars.

They went on to talk about their past relationships. He talked about the women he had been with and she felt intimidated because he had been with a lot of woman while she had only been with Michael. He saw the look in her eyes and assured her that none of those woman were anything close to her.

She told him about her failed marriage to Michael. How it went from living her dream life to losing it all in the blink of an eye. They also talked about her company, how she built it and her passion for fashion.

He told her that he wanted to buy his own studio and to hold an art exhibition. He told her that it was inspired by her fashion show. Kayla was happy how the talk turned out. She now knew a lot of Sibusiso, she knew his passion, what drove him and what he wanted in life.

They talked literature, great books, mythology and she learned that his favourite author was Scott Fitzgerald. He was passionate about art and writing. His eyes would sparkle as he explained to her the inspiration behind some close artist.

She learnt about the books that he published and she made a mental note to read them. He spent half of the morning with her before going back to his apartment. Since it was Sunday Kayla had an early night.