CHAPTER 13

Tony  Kgoroge as Uncle Spencer

Kayla's POV

A few weeks had passed since Kayla had been in Moremi. She felt so relaxed and her mind was at ease. Her daughter was also growing up wonderfully with a loving grandmother and a great, dotting uncle who spoilt her.

Mekyla had been right when she said a change of scenery would be good for her. She had spoilt herself and Ayanna to a week at Moremi gorge. Her baby girl had bubbled happily as she saw the waterfall with so much fascination. The place was  spiritually and mentally healing.

Kayla found everything that Ayanna did fascinating. Whether she giggled at nothing or mumbled something gibberish. She still found it hard that she gave birth to something so precious and amazing. 

Uncle Spencer on the other hand treated Ayanna as an experiment. As an ecologist who once wanted to be a scientist, he was fascinated by a lot of things in regards to Ayanna. He treated her like a lab specimen, monitored her weight, her feeding schedule and her reaction to certain objects among other things.

Ma'Agnes always scolded him for treating the child like a study object but Kayla knew that it was his way of connecting to the baby.

In this particular day, Ma' Agnes had taken Ayanna for a stroll and Kayla was busy lost in her designs. She was working on one of her designs and it was proving to be her best work of yet.

"My child you have been at that sewing machine since early morning. Come out to eat." Kayla heard her grandmother call out for her. She raised her eyes to the wall clock and realised that it was nearly noon, she didn't realize lost she was in her sewing.

"I'm coming grandma..." she called out as she stood and admired her work. Her muscles protested as she stood up, she realised that she must have  sat for too long. Being away from work didn't mean she couldn't have some work done. The dress was coming along nicely she observed.

"Mama you know how she gets once she starts operating that machine. She inherited it from you, you used to sew from sun set to sun dawn." Kayla heard her uncle teasing Ma'Agnes. She could hear Ma'Agnes playfully smark Uncle Spencer and smiled to herself. 

His uncle was right though, she inherited her love for designing and sewing from her grandmother. Growing up, most of the clothes she wore were sewn by her grandmother. From her uniform to her dresses and skirts. Even her uncle's suits used to be sewn by her. She was good at operating the machine and she taught Kayla everything.

Kayla smiled at the memory and went out to join the elders on the varenda. As always she found her uncle and grandmother sipping on tea. Ayanna was chewing at her hands on her pram. Kayla took the baby from the pram and inhaled her heavenly baby scent. Something about her daughters pure angelic scent always comforted her. Ayanna gave her a gummy smile  and she felt her heart skip a beat. She placed sloppy kisses on her face and she bursted into childish giggles.