CHAPTER 20

Kayla's POV

Kayla was getting ready for Friday, it was a day away so she was going through the document she prepared for Mrs De Punt. She had decided to work from home as all the preparation for Friday were on almost done. She was not needed in the office anyway and if it happened that she was needed she was one call away.

She was going through the final brochure that she prepared for Mrs De Punt and her team. Ayanna was making baby noises in her high feeding chair as Kayla looked over the documents. When she was satisfied with everything she decided to take a break and take Ayanna to the park.

She placed Ayanna on her stroller and picked up the baby bag. She opened the door absent mindlessly and she got a scare of her life when she bumped into someone. The moment she raised her eyes to meet her obstacle she was surprised by who she saw. Thulisiwe stood in front of her with a simple smile on her face. 

" Maa

" Maa...." She said astonished . Michael's mother took her in a bone crushing hug.

"It's so good to see you ngwanaka. How are you my girl?" Thulisiwe asked her eyes drifted to the bundle of joy who was watching the scene with interest as she chewed on her fist.

"Ma, I'm good but what are you doing here?" Kayla asked awkwardly. She loved Thulisiwe, but she hasn't  expected to see her at her door step. Not after the divorce and what she said to Michael. She assumed the older woman would have hated her by now.

"What kind of a question is that? I came to see my granddaughter." Thulisiwe answered as she bent to pick up Ayanna from the stroller. Ayanna let out a threatening whimper but Thulisiwe coaxed her by rocking her back and forth, the baby finally settled settled down.

"Ma..."

"Oh, she is her father's daughter. Look at that nose. How come you are the most beautiful baby in the world?" Thulisiwe said in a baby voice,  interrupting whatever Kayla was about to say.

"Ma we are on our way out." Kayla said trying to get away from the awkward situation she found herself in.

"Kayla stop being rude. I don't care what you told Michael to convince him that this is not his daughter but I know this is my granddaughter. Now would you let me spend time with my granddaughter?" The older woman  asked sternly. Kayla felt the shame wash over her. She had always been respectful and she didn't know what came over her.

"I'm sorry Ma. I didn't intend to be disrespectful. I'm just surprised to see you here that's all." She ushered the older woman into the house. They went over to sit by the couch. Ayanna was in Thulisiwe' s arms and she was being rocked her back and forth.

" I am visiting my son for a few days and I heard that you were back in the city so I wanted to meet this little angel. You are grandma's little angel ain't you?" Ayanna let out another couple of giggles as Thulisiwe gave her some bubbly kisses on her baby's tummy.

After Thulisiwe and Kayla talked for a while, Kayla excused herself. She wanted to nap while someone minded Ayanna. When she woke up around noon she saw a missed call from Bontle. She called her and she was disappointed to learn that Bontle had a test the following day which meant she had to look for a another babysitter.

She went to the living room to check on her baby but she found her sleeping. She called the baby sitting agency and they told her they would get back to her. She was frustrated because she wanted the following day to be perfect. How was she suppose to conentrate at work while she worried about Ayanna?She fell into the couch with a heap.

"What's wrong my child?" Thulisiwe asked. She could see that something was troubling Kayla.

"Ma I have this big meeting tomorrow at work. The girl who normally baby sit Ayanna is to be busy tomorrow and now I don't have a baby sitter.If it was any normal day I would take Ayanna with me but tomorrow is a very important day. I'm even thinking of assigning one of my team staff to head the meeting tomorrow." She let out a sigh of defeat.

"If the meeting is that important to you and your company then I will look after Ayanna tomorrow. That way you can go to the meeting and not worry about her." The older woman said ecstatically.

"I couldn't possible expect that from you Ma." Kayla tried to decline the offer. She didn't want to burden Michael's mother with her problems.

" It would be a good chance for me to bond with my granddaughter. I'm doing this selfishly for my own reasons Kayla so don't feel guilty." Thulisiwe reassured her when he saw the look on her face.

" Thank you. But Ayanna needs special attention Ma. She was born premature so any sign of a cold or fever or breathing difficulties she has to see the paediatrician. Are you sure you can manage that?" She asked sceptically.

"Remember I was a nurse once Kayla so I'm sure I can take care of a preemie. I didn't know she was born preemie, what happened?" She asked with interest.

Kayla couldn't help but feel sad about the events that happened that day leading to her delivering early. It was the  day she pushed her husband over the edge, the day her marriage ended for good and it was the day she nearly lost her baby girl. She didn't want to let her ex-mother in law on about that shameful day.

"I don't wanna talk about it." She said softly. She was happy when Thulisiwe didn't press much on the issue.

They started talking about Ayanna and Kayla couldn't resist but fill her ex-mother-in-law stories about her granddaughter. Around three in the afternoon Thulisiwe left with the promise that she would come back the following day.

The following morning Thulisiwe arrived with a mission. She had work to do in order to prove to her son that he was wrong. Kayla looked preoccupied as she ate breakfast. So Thulisiwe engaged her in some conversation to take her mind of things. Thulisiwe guessed the nervousness and unsettling had  something to do with her meeting and leaving Ayanna home.

Kayla went to her daughter's room to feed her while Thulisiwe kept busy with dishes. After feeding the baby she went to dress into the dress she specifically chose for that day. When she was done dressing she went to say good bye to her daughter.

"Okay my little angel, I want you to be a brave girl for mommy and not give grandma a hard time. Be on your best behaviour until mommy comes back. Mommy loves you more than anything in this world." Kayla said as she gave her daughter some sloppy kisses all over her face. Ayanna giggled at her mother's attention.

Kayla took the baby with her to the kitchen. She showed Thulisiwe where everything she would need was. After saying goodbye to her daughter she left for the office. The receptionist eyes nearly popped when she saw Kayla, she was looking exquisite.

 The receptionist eyes nearly popped when she saw Kayla, she was looking exquisite