CHAPTER 25

At Campus

Mimi didn't know when she fell asleep but she woke up disoriented when she heard the lock rattle. She realised that she was still fully dressed. As soon as the door opened and she saw Bontle, she rushed over to her and threw her arms around Bontle. She cried her heart out as Bontle tried to comfort her.

"How can I be so stupid Ntle? He doesn't love me ." Mimi said in between sobs.

Bontle didn't know what to say, she had always known that it would end it tears. No good came from hurting others. She pushed her thoughts aside and decided to comfort her friend.

"It's okay my friend." She said softly, rubbing small circles on Mimi's back.

"It hurts, it hurts so bad. " Bontle felt her heart break for Mimi. This was the first break up that had affected her this much. Normally Mimi got sad after a relationship but she had never cried this painfully.

"Shss...... don't cry Mimi. I'm here okay. I will always be here for you." Bontle reassured her.

After a while she pulled back from the hug and supported Mimi to her bed.

" He said he doesn't love me. He regrets getting divorced because apparently his ex wife lied about cheating." Mimi explained once she had calmed down. She took a tissue and blew her nose.

" Oh Mimi...."

"What am I gonna do now Mimi. I invested so much into that relationship and abandoned school work. I didn't even submit two term papers that were due two weeks ago.
I think I'm gonna fail this semester." She threw her head into her hands as sobs consumed her once again.

"Mimi what have you done?" What Mimi said clicked to Bontle. She couldn't believe that Mimi would be stupid enough to jeopardized her future because of a man. She wanted to scream at her but the look on Mimi's eyes broke her heart.

"Sleep we will talk more in the morning

"Sleep we will talk more in the morning. Bontle said as she went to her own bed. She couldn't contemplate on how Mimi would let love blind her into making foolish decisions. After baby sitting for Kayla she believed that what Mimi said was true. Kayla didn't look like the kind of woman who would cheat.

Her thoughts went to Mimi's parents. They were a Christian family who were small time farmer's. They put their hope on their daughter to make something of her life. She felt her eyelids get heavy and decided to let sleep take over.

Bontle woke up due to the beeping sound of her alarm. It was seven O'clock and they had Corporate Insolvency Law at nine followed by International Law in Current affairs at 11. She tried to wake Mimi but she mumbled something inaudible and went back to sleep.

Bontle went to take a shower and got ready for school. Whilst getting dressed, she heard Mimi greating her with a hoarse voice. They made small talks while Mimi finished getting ready for class. After she was done she sat down on her bed and faced Mimi. It was time for them to have a serious discussion.

"Mimi what are you going to do now? You do know that LAW 302 and 306 are prerequisites to graduate this semester right? And they don't have exams so with no term paper then it's an automatic retake." Bontle enquired.

"I know that Ntle. I don't know what to do. Please help me." Bontle pleaded while rubbing her dry swollen eyes. She really had no idea on what to do.

"You have to make a plan. Why don't you go talk to Mr Chimidza, the Head of Department. Try to come up with a good excuse on why you couldn't meet the deadlines. He is a nice man, maybe he would understand." Bontle offered.

The suggestion was a good one.
"What if he can't help me? "She asked hopelessly.

"Then you are going to have to retake those modules. They would require you to sponsor yourself. Remember our contract with DTEF (Department of Tertiary Education and Finances) ends this semester. "

"My God where am I gonna get the money?" She felt tears sting her eyes.

"Talk to your parents."

"I can't do that. They would be heartbroken. My parents are expecting me to graduate after this semester. What am I gonna tell them?" More tears began falling from her eyes as she thought of her poor parents.

"I tried to talk to you akere Mimi. The last time you were in this room I tried to talk to you and you accused me of being jealous of your relationship with Michael. I tried to talk to you about bunking classes and you nearly bit my head off." Bontle snapped angrily at Mimi.

"Bontle?" Mimi was confused when she heard her lash out. She had expected Mimi to be in her corner.

"Stop with this pity party Mimi it's not going to change anything. You know that every bad deeds has its consequences. Maybe this is God's way of punishing you for breaking somebody's family. " She was exasperated with this Mimi. The Mimi she knew took control of her situation, she worked hard for everything she wanted.

"Bontle stop it." Mimi pleaded with her friend.

"You need to hear the sad truth. You are my friend and I will tell you what you need to hear. You slept with a married man and now you feel like you are the one wronged. Well for your information Missy you were in the wrong too. Snap out of this feeble mood because it's not you. What happened to the money that Michael has been giving you anyways ? Maybe you can use it for something good like paying for your education."

"I don't have any money." She said as her eyes diverted away from Bontle in shame.

"You spent it trying to impress him. Well you are going to have to find work this school vacations then. Look I'm late for class, I don't think you are gonna make it on time since you just woke up. The exam timetable is out so take a look at it so long. You will tell me how the meeting with the HOD went." Bontle left banging the door on her way out. She hated the way she came out on Mimi but it had to be done. Someone had to snap her out of the trance she was in.

After Bontle left, Mimi let the words she said ponder in her head. She understood why Bontle was so angry with her. She had abandoned her and went to live with a man. She had called Bontle names when she tried to advice her. How was she going to break the news to her parents? If her father learned that she had an affair with a married man he would have a heart attack.

She decided to stop with the self pity and went to take a bath. She dressed in a presentable manner and went to the HOD's office. She held her head up and put a smile on her face. Even though she was heart broken, she still had to fix her mess

She had decided to not make excuses on why she had missed the deadline and just tell the truth

She had decided to not make excuses on why she had missed the deadline and just tell the truth. The HOD was impressed with her honesty but he couldn't help her since the marks for the term papers were already entered.

She was also two weeks late for her submission, which according to the HOD was late .She finally understood the saying "when it rains it pours". She tried to talk to her lecturers but all of them told her she was too late. Her head started throbbing as she tried to wreck her brain on what to do. She decided to join Bontle for their 11 O'clock lecture. Even though Bontle was still angry at her, Mimi was happy that atleast she was talking to her.