CHAPTER 33

"Kayla I want us to have a civil conversation." Michael said after a moment. They were seated down, each with a steaming cup of coffee in their hands.

"This days it seems that everyone want to be civil with me. First it is your girlfriend and now it is you." She said absent mindedly.

"Mimi talked to you?" He was ashamed to even bring Mimi's name in her presence.

"It was back when I just came back to the city. What do you wanna talk about Michael?" She asked.

"The past few days I have been thinking and reminiscing about the past. I realized just how badly I hurt you. I was selfish and thought about my own desires. I don't know how I let things got this far and I don't even know if things will ever be the same again. I'm really sorry Kayla." His genuineness made her feel sorry for him.

"You broke my heart Michael. Not only did you cheat but you also rubbed it on my face. I was pregnant and alone while you were out gallavanting doing whatever you were doing. To make matters worse you wanted to keep me while you were with another woman." Her voice was clouded with sadness.

"I'm really sorry Kay, you were always there for me and in the end I turned against you." His head was bowed with embarrassment.

"I needed you Michael, Ayanna needed her father but you weren't there. I'm sorry Michael but I'm finding it hard to forgive you." Her voice was still vile with hurt and hate.

"I will try and make things right. I will make sure to write all my wrongs. Say it and I will do whatever you want me to do." He was literally begging her.

"There is nothing you can do, I will try to be civil to you and give you access to you daughter but do not expect a lot from me."

They spent the day playing with Ayanna. Ayanna was still fragile from her surgery so they made sure not to over excite her. Kayla showed him the pictures of Ayanna from her first scan up to date. She even showed him some of the videos she shot. Michael wanted a copy of everything. After Ayanna was laid to rest Kayla and Michael sat down. Michael started reminiscing about the past. They laughed at the memories of when times were perfect between them.

Kayla didn't know what happened but in a moment she found herself leaning against Michael and pressing her lips against his. He was taken aback before he kissed her passionately. His hands roomed against her body liking how right it felt to have her in his arms. She stopped his hands as they tried to get under her sweater. She pulled away from him and stood up.

"Kayla I still love you. Please let me make things right." He stood up and took her hands into his but she moved away from him.

"Don't.... Don't you dare say that" she snapped at him.

"Its true Kay... I love you." This time he was staring deeply into her eyes as if he was searching her soul.

"No you don't. You don't love me because you wouldn't have done what you did if you really love me. You wouldn't have hurt me that much." She accused him.

"I love you. I know what I did was wrong and I can't justify it but that doesn't change the fact that you are my one true love." He said gently.

"You may have loved me at one point Mike but you lost that love somewhere along the way. The only reason you say you love me is because I'm happy and you are not. You want me because I'm not yours anymore." Her eyes were tearing as she said that.

"Kayla I love you and I want you. You can feel the spark between us. Didn't you feel that when we kissed? Didn't you feel my love for you?" He was now desperate.

"This was closure Michael. I needed to get whatever I was feeling for you out of my system." She gave him a ruthless yet a sad smile.

"Wow...." He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I will always love you Mike but I'm not in love with you. We both deserve a fresh start." She said softly.

"Is your fresh start with that guy who came to the hospital with you? I saw the way he was looking at you." His voice was filled with jealousy.

"Whatever I do is none of you business Michael. We are toxic for each other and I don't want Ayanna to grow around such toxicity. Move on with you life Michael and if you really want to make things right let me live my life."

"I guess I deserve this. I will always love you Kayla and I hope one day you will realise that." He gave her a kiss on her cheek and left. He felt defeated.

As he called for a cab he couldn't shake the kiss out of his mind. His erection was making him uncomfortable so he adjusted his trouser and tried to think of anything other than Kayla. His mind was failing him.

When he got home he went straight to take a cold shower. The rain had stopped for a while. The cold water beat down his skin like needles but he knew he needed the shower to cool his ragging hormones.

After his shower he poured himself a drink and called his mother to inform her that he went to see Ayanna. His mother had left three days after Ayanna's surgery because she was needed back home.

After his talk with his mother her raked his mind, trying to think of ways to win Kayla over. He decided to give her time before he could start perusing her again.

He was happy that the Sibusiso guy who was ogling her with raw lust had disappeared from her life. He had felt anxious and jealous when he saw him that first day at the hospital with Ayanna. He had watched him hug her and rub her shoulders and he felt his anger boil. As he took a sip of his whiskey he vowed that he would win Kayla back again.