CHAPTER 8

Kayla's POV

Kayla slid to the floor against the door as she reflected on what she just did. Tears streamed down her face and her body convulsed. She dissolved into tears until there were no more. After she cried her lungs out she was exhausted so she dragged herself to her bedroom.

The only way she knew how to deal with a heartache was to keep busy so she cleaned up and applied makeup before dragging her exhausted self to the office. She knew that being home was going to be painful for her.

Everything in the house reminded her of Michael. She hated how much she loved him and she wanted everything to stop. For a tiny bit she wanted to stop thinking, to stop hurting . She buried herself in work until midnight. Her grandmother had called but she just rejected the calls because she knew her grandmother was going to nag her about what happened with Michael.

She was not ready to talk about it and she wasn't exactly keen with telling her grandmother that she had lied to Michael.

By the time she was done in the office it was already past two in the morning. Every single joint and muscle in her body were aching. She felt a painful cramp at her lower abdomen, her thoughts were that she sat for so long. She rubbed her swollen stomach and she felt guilty for focusing her energy on her pains than taking care of herself for the benefit of the baby.

She realized that its been hours since she had a meal. She took her stuff and drove home. The house was pitch black and very quiet. As she opened the fridge she felt another painful cramp and she groaned. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths. She felt panic when she felt slick wet liquid running down her inner thigh.

"Oh... baby no..." She pleaded with the baby as if it could hear her. It was way too early for the baby to come as she was just over thirty-one weeks pregnant.Another shot of pain striked her and she fell down.

"Grandma....... help....." she shouted over and over again. Groans tore at her throat as another wave of pain passed down her stomach.

Darkness engulfed her as she clung to her belly praying that her baby was fine.

Ma'Agnes heard the screams from a distance and it felt like a dream. When she heard the silence she sprung from her bed and realized that she wasn't dreaming. She first checked the bedroom but Kayla was not there and it looked like it was not slept on.

She went to check the kitchen and she felt her heart drop when she switched the lights on. There on the floor laid a lifeless Kayla. Ma'Agnes quickly paddled to her and dropped to her knees.

"Kay ngwanaka batho......" she cried out as she saw the blood surrounding her.

Quickly she called the ambulance. She would have drove her to the hospital but she didn't didn't a license and she had never learned how to drive. She waited for the ambulance as she held Kayla on her arms.

The fear of losing her grandchild was frightening than anything she ever experienced. She had been heart broken when Kayla's mother died. Ma'Agnes always thought her kids would bury her but when she buried her child she was heartbroken. Now seeing Kayla laying so lifelessly she felt her weak bones threaten to give up on her.

After a few minutes the ambulance arrived and they took Kayla. She drove with them to the hospital after they asked her to change from her gory pyjamas.

Kayla was wheeled into the operation room and it was early morning when the doctor finally emerged from the room. Ma'Agnes had been afraid to sleep and she doubted she would get any sleep from the uncomfortable steel chair. She saw the doctor walking towards her so she met him halfway.

"Doctor how is my granddaughter?" she enquired anxiously.

"We managed to stop the bleeding and we were able to save the baby." The doctor answered proudly.

"What do you exactly mean doctor?" She was confused at his statement. What did he mean save the baby?

"Kayla gave birth to a premature baby. She is very small and her lungs and heart are not fully developed. Right now the baby is not able to breath on her own so she will be kept in the neonatal intensive care unit until she is able to breath on her own. Also until we are satisfied that she is healthy." The doctor explained.

"Oh thank God. What about my granddaughter?"

"She is stable at the moment. She lost a lot of blood and the fact that she was unconscious we were forced to perform an emergency caesarean. Your daughter had signed that in cases of emergency we should perform a c-section that is why we didn't ask for your consent."

"As long as they are both fine doctor. So can I see them?" Ma'Agnes was relieved that both of them were okay.

"I'm afraid you will not be able to see the baby but you can see your granddaughter once she is wheeled to her room. She is heavily sedated though so she might not even know you are present."

"Thank you so much Doctor."

"Thank you Ma."

The doctor left and briefly Kayla was wheeled from the operation room and Ma'Agnes followed the nurses.

Kayla laid so peacefully in the bed and Ma'Agnes leaned to kiss her forehead. Her granddaughter looked pale she acknowledged. She thanked God for being able to save her. She then remembered that she had to call Kayla's uncle.

He was very ecstatic to hear that both of them were fine. He was taking care of thing back at the village and Ma'Agnes had withheld the information that Michael had cheated on Kayla. She knew how her son gets where Kayla was involved.

Kayla woke to feeling like she was run by a bus. Her eyes adjusted to her surrounding and she panicked. She wasn't in her room and her body was aching. Memories of what happened rained in her mind and her hand automatically flew to her stomach. She felt empty and her belly was strangely soft.

"My baby....." she sobbed.

She realized that her grandmother was sleeping on the chair with her frail hands supporting her head. She couldn't help it but more tears fell from her eyes. The monitors that were connected to her began beeping rapidly. Ma'Agnes panicked when she heard the monitors beeping and she awoke from her slumber and went to Kayla's side.

"Its okay my love, its okay." She tried to reassure her.

"No, where is my baby?" She shouted.
The nurses and doctor came rushing in and they restrained her as she thrusts about, one of the nurses injected her.

"Missy you baby is fine. She is premature but she will be fine. You have to calm down now." One of the nurses said calmly to her.

"Granny is my baby really fine?" She asked in a vulnerable and heavy voice. Whatever the nurse injected her with was starting to work.

"She will be fine. Now sleep and when you wake up we will talk."

Kayla's eyes dropped slowly and within seconds she was fast asleep.

"This reaction is perfectly normal and I'm sure when she wake up again she can go see the baby." One of the nurses said.

Ma Agnes left the hospital after the doctor told her that Kayla was going to be out for a couple of hours. She went home to sleep for a couple of hours, eat and have a shower.