CHAPTER 9

Kayla's POV

Kayla woke up the next morning very tired. Her stomach felt sore, she rang for a nurse and within a few minutes a doctor and nurse entered her room.

"Aaa finally she is up, welcome back mama. I'm sure your baby girl will like to meet her mother." The doctor said proudly and Kayla couldn't help but sighed with relief. Her baby was fine, she thought.

"She is fine right doctor?" She anxiously asked.

"You gave birth to a lovely baby girl. And as you know your baby is premature and as such we have to put her in NICU until she can breath on her own. She is also a little bit underweight that's why she needs close monitoring in the hospital." The doctor explained.

"Will I be able to hold her? Go home with her when I'm released?" She asked anxiously.

"You will be able to hold her, as a matter of fact we advise the parents to hold their babies skin to skin. That is what we call Kangaroo care. It helps keep the baby warm , it is good for her heart and it helps with breathing. Unfortunately you can't go home with her as of yet. Until I'm satisfied with her weight and she is able to breath on her own then you can take her home."

Kayla felt disappointed that she couldn't leave with the baby but she was happy that at least she would be able to hold her little girl.

" Thank you so much Doctor Marshall, I am really grateful. Now I can't wait to meet my little girl." She said with so much excitement.

" It's a pleasure Kayla, now I'm gonna let the nurse check your dressing before she takes you up to your daughter. You also have to name the little Angel." He said with a smile before leaving the room.

Kayla was anxious as the nurse redressed her surgical wound. The nurse who introduced herself as Nurse Karabo showed her how to clean the stitches and how to redress the wound. After what felt like eternity to her, nurse Karabo finally wheeled her to where her baby was.

She felt her heart break as she saw her little frame connected to some machine which were meant to help her breath

She felt her heart break as she saw her little frame connected to some machine which were meant to help her breath. The nurse told her she could touch the baby and she eagerly ran a finger up her babies tummy.

The baby felt so soft, Kayla felt emotion choke her. Even though her child was small, she was perfect. She fell in love with her intensively and she vowed in that moment to do everything in her power to keep her baby girl safe.

After a moment the nurse wheeled her to her room, she felt empty without her child. Ma'Agnes visited her near noon and she was happy to see Kayla up. Her grandmother wanted to call Michael and his mother but Kayla asked her not to do that. Her grandmother accepted her decision without question. Mekyla and Tasha, her friends visited her. They scolded her for avoiding them but they forgave her.

The days that followed she visited visited her daughter whom she named Ayanna. She performed Kangaroo care to her almost everyday and the doctor was very impressed by the progress that Ayanna was making.