•10•

"Hunter." Another cry comes from the hall as I walk up the stairs to Lou's room. "Hey Lou." I poke my head in and smile at Lou, who is sitting up and reaching for a tissue. "Here you go." I hand her the box and sit down on her bed.

"Where...Hunter?" she asks.

"He's getting us some food. He'll be up in a few minutes though. Why don't you get some sleep?"

She shakes her head and grabs my hand with her very small one. "Can you tell me a story?"

"Only if you promise to lay down." She nods and lays down. I pull the blanket over her as she coughs into it. "Okay then, lets see." I think of a story in my head before I start as she grins at me. She sure does not seem sick.

"Once upon a time, deep in a forest, there lived a very little girl. She lived with her brother and mom and dad. And every night the little girls mom would tell her a story, and every night her father would tell her why she had to wear a special Cloak. The reason she had to wear the cloak is because there were some very bad people in the woods too, and this cloak protected her from these people. And one day the little girl ran off into the woods to play wither her animal friends, but she forgot the cloak.

And as she was walking through the woods to her friends she heard a noise, and another and another. Soon she was met by a woman in green and black, with a pointy hat and long nose. She was a witch, the little girl looked up at the witch and smiled. The witch asked her, 'what are you doing little girl, it can be dangerous out here without your family' the little girl said, 'I'm on my way to my friends, would you like to come?' The witch was taken back by the little girls offer and was very upset. She yelled and casts spells on the grass making it grow and grow and grow, but the little girl was not scared, for she had four flowers, and the witch loved flowers. The little girl walked up to the witch and held out a flower, the witch was happy and accepted the little girls offer. For the little girl showed kindness.

As the little girl and witch walked through the forest, they soon were met by a goblin. The goblin asked the girl and witch 'what are you two doing, walking through my woods?' the witch replied 'we are going to see some friends.' But the goblin was angry about this and started to stomp and yell. He was very mad, and the witch was scared, but the little girl was not. For the little girl had three flower, and goblins love flowers. The little girl gave a flower to the goblin and he stopped his stomping. Soon the little girl, the witch, and the goblin were on their way to the little girls friends.

But then again they were stopped by a very big, giant. The giant asked 'what are you doing in my forest!' 'we are on our way to the little girls friends.' The goblin said. 'would you like to come?' the witch offered. The Giant was offended by the offer and soon was yelling and pulling up the weeds. The Goblin went and hid in the trees and the witch hid under a bush. But the little girl was not fazed, for she still had two flowers. She handed a flower to the giant and he stopped pulling up roots and he stopped his yelling. For the little girl had shown kindness. Soon all four of them were on their way to meet the little girls friends.

As the four reached the clearing where the friends meet, all of the animals were there. As soon as the witch, goblin and giant walked in with the little girl, all of the little girls friends ran away in terror, for they were tought that these people were bad. BUt so was the little girl, her parents were scared of her new friends too. AS all her other friends ran away the others felt sad now. The little girl saw this and smiled at them, she said 'well, now we can play.' And soon the little girl was best friends, because she was always kind to those who weren't given kindness."

As I finish my story Lou stares at me with a smile on her face. "Then what?" She asks. "Well, I guess everyone grew up very happy and eventually everyone like the witch, goblin and giant due to the little girl."