Chapter 14

"That was a great shoot Meghan, thank you."
The photographer called as Meghan bowed his way and ran off the set in her chunky, black boots heading my way. I watched her beautiful, excited face as she squeezed my hands tightly, a small squeal leaving her mouth. I saw myself beginning to copy her actions, not really knowing why she was so excitable. It could quite literally be because I am here, standing with her in work when it is usually all confidential and she can't let any friends into the building.

"Ahhh! You are here! How pretty is this dress?!" She said, doing a strut, her matte black doc martins leading the way. The dress was short yet formal at the same time. The fitted, black and dark grey tartaned material really suited her and the boots and multiple pieces of jewellery were the perfect addition to complete the look. I watched as she put on a little show, making me giggle before clapping and receiving a bow of gratitude.

"I really like your outfit today actually." she said, dusting off my denim skirt. I blushed and immediately thanked her, throwing my loose braids back, a bit unsure of how to stand as I could feel myself becoming shy. I didn't get many compliments compared to what I used to get, so hearing the words leaving Meghan's mouth put me in a bit of a spiral, confused as how to stand, act and even talk. It came to my attention that I had been standing thinking to myself for quite some time and I had completely forgot to say anything back. I blinked with wide eyes and blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"I-It's nothing compared to you" I said, tilting my head, trying my best to conceal my diffidence although, I could feel my cheeks burning up the second the compliment left her mouth.

"Miss Yang, next outfit please. You said your friend wasn't going to be a problem." Her manager instructed sternly, clicking towards her and gesturing for her to grab her outfit.

"I'm sorry sir, it won't be a problem. I will go get dressed now." she spoke at him, receiving a satisfied nod back. Before heading in the direction of the changing rooms, or which I was assuming was the changing rooms, she turned back my way, rolling her eyes dramatically.

"This is annoying. I don't know what I was expecting by you coming here. I knew I wasn't gonna be able to have a sit down with you but...I guess I didn't really think it through; you said you had something you wanted to chat about and I guess I felt bad cutting you off. I'm sorry, I should have just told us to do it another day instead of making you come here." she said, pouting.

I reassured her that it was completely fine and that it was actually an honour to even step foot in the building. After a few more comforting words and genuine smiles exchanged, she understood that there was nothing to be sorry for.

"Miss Yang, a word please."

-

After a few minutes of awkward waiting, I heard the heavy trot of her boots heading towards me. I looked up and sighed in relief, happy that I no longer had to stand in the middle of the grand room alone, looking like an idiot. As I went to ask what she was needed for, I was grabbed at the wrist and yanked in the direction of the changing rooms.

"Meg, where are w-we going!?" I stuttered as she was pulling me so quickly, causing me to bob up and down slightly. She continued to stay silent until we got into the changing room. She swiftly pushed me inside and closed the door behind her gently.

"Okay, I just spoke with my manager and he was saying how shocked he was by you and how pretty you are and things-"

This comment brought a smile to my face. As I had said before, I didn't get many compliments anymore so even the slightest nice comment was enough to make my day. I leaned on the wall with raised corners of my lips and continued listening.

"-and he said , if you were up for it, we could do some test shots with you? Just for fun of course."

"What!? ME!!??" I said, in complete shock. To be completely honest, I didn't really know where she was going with the conversation but I didn't think it would go here. Me doing test shots? Does this seriously mean me modelling!? I didn't think I was pretty or unique enough to be a model...

"Also, you didn't hear this from me but he said if you are good enough he might consider giving you a job here." she attempted to whisper although it turned into more of a high-pitched squeal half way through. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I would love to do modelling! It has literally been one of my dreams since I was a little girl; and now my dream was coming true. I covered my mouth with my hands and squealed along with her.

Word Count: 875