Chapter 25

Time skip 3 months

It was now Christmas time and you and Kai were finally a couple. Your step brothers finally got time off and said they were coming back home and so that's what you and Kai wanted to do. You wanted to be together as one big family again. You hadn't seen your parents in years either. You wanted this to be the most perfect Christmas you had ever had.

-

"I'm so excited!" I squealed, squeezing Kai's hand which was currently gripping onto the gear stick. He chuckled slightly before pulling into my parent's driveway. Oh how I missed this place. This is where some of my best memories were created and now I was finally getting to re-live my old life; I couldn't be any more ecstatic. I peered outside, attempting to see through the frosty condensation on the window, to see if my parents were waiting at the door. This is when Kai raised his voice for the first time in a while.

"I know it's probably not the best time to bring this up now and I should have talked to you earlier about it but um...what if your parents don't like me?" He said, a ripple of worry evident in his voice. He refused to look my way but I couldn't make out if it was because he was focusing on parking the car perfectly or if he didn't want to see my bored, 'tired of the same old thing' face. He was forever worrying about things that he can't change but I didn't hate him for it because honestly I was the same. I guess that was why he had been so quiet on the journey here. That and the fact that we were incredibly jet-lagged from the 13 hour flight here.

"Kai, you already know they are gonna love you. How many times have they spoke to you over the phone? They love you already, trust me."

I said nothing more but examined the cute, little smile that was currently painting his face. I slowly leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"Come on. Let's go in."

-

After around 5 minutes of sorting out our luggage, we were on our way down the beige brick path. Everything was taking me back to when I first stepped into the gates, except this time I was doing it with the man I loved.

"Wow...it's huge." Kai managed to pant out. He insisted on carrying all our bags as he knew I was extremely exhausted but I'm pretty sure he started to regret his decision after feeling how heavy my bags were. Maybe I should have told him how many pairs of shoes I brought...

"I know, god I missed it here." I sighed, examining the exterior of the house, many Christmas decorations of cute, movement-censored snowmen and elves hanging off the balcony and quite a few Christmas lights swimming though the bushes, but of course all that was visible right now was the black wire; I'm sure they would look beautiful all lit up at night. Taking a look at all the festive decorations caused my excitement to overflow, a squeak leaving my mouth as I ran up the stairs quickly, my patience beginning to wear thin.

" Y/n, can you just-I can't-"

I rang the door bell immediately and turned around to assist Kai when I realised he was in the middle of falling over himself. I pulled a hand up to my face and began giggling loudly, a sound quite the opposite leaving his mouth. I was about to move my feet to go and help him when I heard the nostalgic lock of the door beginning to be turned. I gasped and swung back around subconsciously, the door opening to reveal my parents, a grand smile on all of our faces.

Before words could even be exchanged, I ran into their arms and began to cry my little heart out. I said I wasn't going to but who am I kidding? I couldn't predict my emotions for a moment like this, especially when I hadn't seen them in almost 4 years.

"Hi honey, how have you been!?" My mom said, also sniffing up as she embraced me tighter.

"I have been great mom, Kai's here!" I said, gesturing outside as I began jumping up and down excitedly like a child.

"He's just- oh."

I let so much of my excitement take over that I completely forgotten Kai's sudden incident. He was still on the floor, except now he was on his knees trying to grip at all the bags except it looked as though he had lost all of his strength at this point which wasn't shocking; those bags weighed a ton. I couldn't help but giggle to myself as my dad stepped out of the house and headed towards him.

"Here son let me help you with those." my dad said, Kai getting up from the ground and bowing to him, thanking him in relief. It was nice to see my dad getting along with him. My dad never had the best relationships with the guys I hung around with, even when I made it very clear that we were just friends. The fact he was being so kind and respectful to Kai from the get-go gave me hope that I really had found the one.

"Oh honey, he's so cute. I know you told me he was good-looking over the phone but I didn't think he would be this good-looking!"

"Mom be quiet he's literally a few metres away." I whispered, interlocking my arm with hers and stepping back to let Kai and my dad enter with the bags.

Once everything was set down in the entrance hall, the grand door was shut and my parents gestured us in the direction of the kitchen. We followed behind as we stepped into the newly decorated kitchen and dining area, a huge ten foot-something Christmas tree standing in the corner of the room, dazzling proudly. My eyes settled on the dining table ahead of us and me and Kai both let out a gasp.

"If you couldn't smell it already, we made a little welcome-home feast. We were going to wait for your brothers but apparently their flight has been postponed until tomorrow."

My eyes darted around the food-filled table, a large platter of sliced, glazed meat sitting proudly in the centre. The aroma didn't hit me until we ventured a little closer and that's when a rather sudden wave of starvation attacked my stomach.

"It looks so good Mrs L/n." Kai beamed, pulling out a seat for me, before pulling out the one beside me for himself.

"Oh sweetie, call me Maria."

-

We talked for hours and had the best time. They loved Kai, which was evident as soon as the door was opened. We shared stories back and fourth and it was nice to see Kai feel so comfortable so quickly when he has always been such a shy person. I didn't know if it was because I had spent a lot of time with him these past few months, but Kai seemed to be a lot more confident than when I first met him. He was still shy but he was a lot better than he used to be and it made me wonder if I brought that out of him. It was a nice thing to think about and it brought a smile to my face every time I thought about it.

"Well, me and your father are going to snuggle up on the couch and watch a movie but you are more than welcome to join. Oh and by the way, I made your room up ready. It's the room just after ours, at the end of the hallway."

"Ah, thank you mom and thank you for the lovely dinner, it was amazing." I managed to get out through a strained yawn.

Venturing back up to our bags, I heard an audible sigh leave Kai's mouth. I decided it was only fair if I took the bags this time so I began picking them up and throwing them over my shoulder.

"Y/n, you're not going to be able to do th-"

"Shh. Leave me to it." I interrupted him, pushing a finger out in his direction to shut him up. At this point, I should have just accepted defeat because there was still 3 other huge bags on the ground and I was already in agony.

I didn't know how long I had been staring at the bags on the ground but it was long enough for Kai to begin picking them up effortlessly himself.

"Show off." I scoffed as he turned back my way, a smirk appearing on his face.

"Shh. Leave me to it."

Word Count: 1480