Chapter 22

Having to model professionally while Kai was standing at the back of the room, smiling away at me was the closest I had gotten to pure torture. If it was up to me, I would have been off the set and galloping up to him the second he walked in. But I had only been working for a day and I didn't want to seem extremely unprofessional, which is why I put myself through the painful anticipation. Let's just say when the time finally did come and the photographer gave his thanks, I was dashing towards him quicker than a bullet. He had his arms open ready to embrace me and I jumped into them confidently.

"I have missed you so much!!" I squealed, as I felt his arms snake around my back and wrap fully around me, giving me a tight, comforting squeeze.

"So have I, you have no clue." He whispered, stroking at my exposed back before releasing me and pulling away, both of us caught in each other's glistening eyeline. There was silence for a moment as we just examined each other's features. Even his autumnal scent of cinnamon and spiced apple kept me calm and comforted and it really made me realise how alone I felt without him.

"You look amazing by the way."

"Oh...Th-Thank you" I giggle nervously, as I felt my feet beginning to turn in shyly. Why did he make me feel this way?

"So uhm, why did you decide to come to L.A?" I mumbled, keeping my hands clasped together as I waited for his answer. I watched as he shifted his glasses further up his nose and slid his hands into his jean pockets.

"Well, I was coming with Sehun but then apparently you both had words over the phone and so yeah he ditched. But I just...I really wanted to see you."

I didn't know how to respond to his answer without turning into a blushing mess and saying something I shouldn't so instead I gifted him a smile and gestured him to follow me to the changing rooms. The fact that Kai came to see me really warmed me up inside and I felt like I was recognised and thought about for the first time in a while. As soon as I left high school, I was getting recognised and thought about for the wrong reasons, mostly the reasons that involved my brothers. But Kai didn't focus on that; he focused on me.

We arrived at the changing room and I knocked once to make sure no other models were inside. It was usually only me and Meghan who claimed this specific room, but you could never be too safe. I sure as hell would not want to be walking in on a bunch of naked strangers.

Luckily, I heard the mumbling sound of Meghan from inside which meant I could venture in but what I forgot about was that I was with Kai: a guy who has never seen a semi-naked woman in real life, and absolutely freaked when he saw one in a towel.

"Oh my GOD! Y/n, why do you keep letting me walk into things like this!?" He exclaimed, covering his face and attempting to walk out the room as quick as possible but to his demise, the door had already shut and he walked straight into it.

"Don't worry, kid. I've shown my body to worse people." She sighed and I smiled her way in agreement, helping a pained Kai get up from off the floor.

"Y/n, I really don't feel comfortable being in here." He said in a tone which I found really amusing. I clung to his waist and giggled heartily at his adorable reaction.

"Look, just...here-" I mumbled, reaching up and removing his glasses slowly, causing him to reposition the hand covering his eyes and bringing it down to rest on my waist. Even though I had just minutes ago examined this man's face, something about removing the two rimmed pieces of glass from it changed everything. In that moment I could honestly do nothing but stare as Kai began looking around the room.

"Oh wow, that is better. now everything is blur-"

Suddenly, in burst one of the assistants, shooting her eyes around the room until she spotted me. She plastered on her fake smile and stepped into the room slightly.

"Miss L/n, your manager needs to see you outside." She informed before sliding her vision over to Kai, her smile growing and her eyes seemingly battering themselves.

"Okay, I'm coming." I said, pushing her out the door and following her out.

Kai's PoV:

Y/n's friend was still dressing and although I could barely see her without my glasses, I still felt awkward. I barely knew the girl and yet here I was, alone in a changing room with her. Why did she have to leave?

"If you take a picture it will last longer." She said, folding up her outfit. I coughed awkwardly and look towards the ground.

"Sorry um...I can't see you anyway I just-"

"I don't know why you cover yourself with those glasses." She sighed, playing with what sounded like the clothes hangers before turning in my direction. Even though she didn't specifically ask a question, I felt as though she was waiting for an answer.

"Uhm, th-they make me feel secure." I mumbled, now putting them back on as it was evident through the blurry mess that she was now fully dressed.

"Well if I were you, I would step out of my comfort zone because Y/n is one of the prettiest girls I know, and she has the 7 hottest stepbrothers ever, and you are the one messing her up." She said sternly, packing up her bag. For some reason, a tiny smile appeared on my face however every time I tried to conceal it, it seemed to grow even bigger.

"She what?" I mumbled shyly, pushing my glasses as far up my nose as they could go.

"Just...think about what I said, you can't hide behind them forever and I must admit, your details are flawless. I understand you need them but, there is always contacts."

And with that she was out the door. I had never been told that my glasses were a distraction from how I looked. I have always needed them from a very young age and I have always felt the most comfortable with them on. But to be told this information, it really makes me think if they are the reason I'm so shy. I have always had something to hide behind and I have never been able to be myself around anyone apart from Y/n and a few other people I trust. Maybe she was right. Maybe contacts would do the trick.

Word Count: 1152