Chapter 8.

School was normal. By normal, I mean boring. It was lunch and I was sitting with Nia and Che outside. Chennai was hiding something from us. I could tell by the scared look in her eyes and her constantly picking her nails.

'So, what's up?' I ask.

'Nothing really. What bout you Che? Got anything to tell us?' Nia says. She had noticed Che's weird behaviour too. Chennai shook her head, a little bit too quickly.

'Nope. Just the usual. Marc's being a dick'ed.' She says chuckling awkwardly. Marc was her supposed boyfriend. He's apparently 17, lives near Che, really buff and sweet and they had apparently been going out for 2 months, even though me and Nia had never, ever seen him before. Obviously I believe her because she's my best friend but I can't help having that feeling that she's not telling the entire truth.

'Oh. What'd he do this time?' Nia says.

'Oh you know, just being stupid...' She trails off as she stares in the distance. I follow her gaze and realise that Jayden, Dontae, Jordan and their friends were making their way towards us. Che gulped and started playing with her fingers again. What's wrong with her?

'Lemme chat to you Chennai.' Jordan says when he reaches us.

'Why?' She says avoiding his glare.

'Cos I need to chat to you.' He says.

'Why?' She says again.

'Don't make me bait you out, just come fam.' He says kissing his teeth. What's going on? Che reluctantly gets up and follows Jordan into school.

'What's gwanin between them?' Nia asks Jayden and Dontae who had now sat down with us, along with their friends. I don't socialise with most people in our year which is very bad since we're in year 10.

'Chennai and Jordan beat.' Dontae says shrugging. Wait, I think I misheard. Chennai beat?!

'Wait, say that again. I thought you said Chennai and Jordan beat.' I say laughing.

'That's what I said.' Dontae says.

'Noooo, you're mistaken. Che wouldn't do that...' Nia says shaking her head. I agree.

'Are you sure bout that?'

Was I sure? Wait, how can I even doubt my best friend? I know for a fact she wouldn't do that. Nah, she wouldn't...?

'Yes I'm sure. Anyways, how's life everyone?' Nia asks smiling.

'Calm.' Jayden says.

'I wasn't talking to you.' She says straight-faced. Nia actually hates Jayden with a passion like more than I hated Dontae. Jayden hates her too but finds it funny annoying her.

'You said everyone, am I not a one?' He says. Oh dear, another one of their long arguments was about to start.

'Please don't start arguing again.' I say sighing. The last one had just finished. It started in year 7 when Jayden took the last slice of pizza in the canteen when he knew Nia wanted it. Yes, it had actually just finished a couple days ago.

'I weren't starting shit. Tell your friend to mind her mouth innih.' Jayden says to me.

'Tell your brother to tell me himself.' Nia says to me.

'Tell your friend that I don't speak to skets.'

'Tell your brother he can't chat, with his STD infected self.'

I sigh and lie down.

'Another fight is starting init?' Dontae asks lying down next to me. I nod. They were still going on even though I wasn't listening anymore.