Chapter 48.

*PAST*

Kaine.

‘She’s only little, just take her back.’ Elisha sobbed in the back of the car.

‘Shut up, I can’t think.’ He shouts aggressively.

‘I wanna go home. Mi casa!’ The little girl shrieked from the back.

‘It’s alright. You’ll see mummy and daddy soon, alright?’ Elisha attempts to calm her down. ‘This isn’t right Kaine.’

He ignores her, as they pull up to one of his many flats.

‘I’m very angry with you Elisha. Bring her inside and we’ll talk.’ He informs her gruffly, exiting the car. He opens the door to his flat, making sure none of the neighbours were out before ushering Elisha and the little girl in. ‘Take her to Miah’s room.’

Elisha obeyed, without uttering a single word. He grabs an already made zoot from his pocket, smiling widely at the sight of it. Without hesitation, he lights it up. He needed a stress reliever, it was hardwork kidnapping that little girl, she doesn’t stop talking.

He inhaled the smoke with closed eyes, his head leaning back as his dark, plump lips stretched into anoher wide smile. Without opening his eyes, he sensed Elisha’s presence.

‘Sit.’ He spoke, startling Elisha, and she scurried to a seat. He slowly turns to her direction and opens his eyes. ‘Why did you do that Elisha? Huh?’

‘What?’ She asks quietly as fear caused her heart to pump faster.

‘Did I fucking stutter? Don’t act dumb, you know what I’m fucking talking about.’ He says through gritted teeth. His anger towards her was building up, and he had the strong urge to punch her. He nearly did, when he found her outside Jayda’s doorstep, informing her that he had kidnapped her neice. Luckily, Jayda was too intoxicated to realise.

‘It’s wrong, Kaine. You can’t go around kidnapping little children because you hate Jayda. What has that little girl ever done to you?’ Elisha stresses, in tears again. ‘I can’t believe this. I can’t be apart of this anymore. I refuse to. I’m done.’ She stutters over her words. He stare at her blankly then begins to chuckle.

‘You can’t be part of this no more, nah? You wan leave? Go then, if you leave I will give Jeremiah up for adoption and make sure you never see him again. Try me Elisha. Try me.’ Elisha’s eyes filled with more tears that fell at a rapid pace. She felt sick, knowing he meant every word. She couldn’t even fathom the courage to ask how sick he was, how he could give his own son up for adoption.

‘What are you gonna do to her?’ Elisha whispers, feeling sorry for Jaydene; she was just an innocent child that had been caught up in Kaine’s madness.

‘Nuttin. Just wanna scare Jayda, let her know I’m not bullshitting.’

‘But Kaine, you do know that, it’s not Jayda’s fault…’ Elisha trailed off when Kaine’s piercing eyes shot into her own.

‘What? Not her fault that my brother is dead? Not her fault that my mum disowned him? Not her fault that she has fucked up his life, his childrens lives, my family’s life and my life? SO WHO’S FAULT IS IT THEN?!’ He shouted in her face, as his face contorted into one of anger. Elisha backed away, not daring to speak.

‘Sorry.’ Elisha finally speaks up.

‘It’s okay. Don’t come to me with that bullshit again, or I’ll kill you.’ He says so calmly. Elisha doesn’t respond, paralyzed with fear as she knew he wasn’t joking. From there, she made up her mind. She had to leave. She had to get out of here, as soon as possible.