Back To How It Was ~ Kai

After everything was resolved and Kai's parents were safe once again, you retired into yourself, every moment from the past few days flashed through your head and you realized how quickly the Vermilion had managed to defeat you and as a black belt, it was a bad blow to your pride.

So ever since you had returned, you refused to leave the dojo until you absolutely had to, practicing till all hours in the night.

Stopping in the middle of your pull-ups, you dropped yourself to the ground at the sound of your phone ringing. Thinking it was probably your mom wondering where you were, you grabbed it, not bothering to look at the contacts, "Hey."

"Hey, (Y/N)."

Your brows furrowed, "Kai? What's up?"

"Nothing, just calling to talk, what're you up to?"

"Oh, nothing much really, just laying in bed." You lied, wiping some sweat off your forehead. 

You knew if Kai were to find out about your frequent trips to the gym and dojo, he would likely tell you not to go anymore. Even though you wouldn't listen to him, you really didn't want to fight with him about this. Besides, you have been practicing martial arts for years now, and you knew your limits. You weren't even close to them right now.

"Oh? Are you free? Maybe we could go and watch a movie."

You bit your lip contemplatively, if you go you could spend a night with your boyfriend, who is still in the doghouse for cheating on you and would likely do anything to get you to forgive him. On the other hand, you would miss out on an entire night of training.

"Um, I don't think so, I'm really tired." You lied, mentally deciding to try working with a bo next.

"Okay, alright, no worries." You heard him try and put it off but you knew he was disappointed. How could he not? It was the third time this week you were cancelling a date.

"Sorry, Kai." You told him, pulling the phone away to hang up before you heard him speak again.

"I'm sorry? What did you say?"

"Are you having second thoughts about getting back together?"

Your brows furrowed, "No. What would make you think that?"

"Oh, maybe the fact that you've cancelled every date since we got back. I haven't even seen you since we defeated Krux and Acronix."

You sighed, "Kai—"

"If you don't want to go out with me, just say so."

"It's not that..." You trailed off, not wanting to tell him what you were really doing.

"Then what is it?"

"I don't want to tell you.." You answered meekly, feeling bad that you were putting Kai in such a frustrating position.

You heard him sigh before muttering 'fine' and then hanging up. You briefly thought about calling him back but then decided against it, heading back to the practice mat.

"I thought I'd find you here"

You moved quickly with the bo in your hands and pressed it against the intruders neck. It took you a second to look past the spots in your vision to realize it was Kai.

"You really shouldn't sneak up on a black belt."

Kai gave you an unamused frown, "What're you doing here?"

Deciding there was no point in trying to hide when you had been caught, your twirled the bo in your hands, "I was just getting in some extra training. What're you doing here?"