Chapter 31

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

"Lets talk about your addiction," Dana said.

Zoey and I were back in this premarital counselor's office having another session. After the last session I wasn't much looking forward to this. But Zoey wanted us to continue these sessions so I agreed to show my commitment to repairing our relationship.

"What for? It has no bearing on my relationship with Zoey," I said defensively.

"I would beg to defer Caleb. You might be sober now but having an addiction is a life long struggle you must work at everyday of your life," Dana said.

"I did the work and got clean for Zoey. I've stayed clean for over five years now. I'm good," I said.

"You say you got clean for Zoey... why is that?" Dana asked.

"Well she caught me doing a line of coke in the bathroom in Vegas. It was the first trip we took together... she gave me somewhat of an ultimatum. She said it was either her or the drugs," I admitted.

"Did you stop right away?" Dana asked.

"I tried to but no... I did eventually stop though and I went to meetings and have been clean ever since," I said.

"Do you still go to meetings?" Dana asked.

"No I don't need them anymore. I don't use," I said.

"Meetings aren't about using Caleb. They can help keep you on track and just be a tool in supporting your sober way of living," Dana said.

"I don't need those meeting anymore. I got Zoey and my kids. I'm good," I said.

"I hear you putting your sobriety on Zoey a lot. Might I ask where you think you'd be in your sobriety if Zoey were to leave you and never look back and take your kids with her?" Dana asked.

"Zoey's not going anywhere with my kids so there is no need for me to think like that," I said nervously.

This counselor was once again getting under my skin.

This bitch is fucking nosey.

"But hypothetically speaking what if she and your kids left you," Dana pushed.

"I'd fight to see my kids! My mother's a lawyer so Zoey couldn't just run off and never look back! I'd be in my kids lives no matter what!" I said defensively.

I felt Zoey reach over and hold my hand.

I looked over at her and she gave me a comforting smile.

I brought her hand up to my lips and kissed it.

"So your mother is a lawyer.... What does your father do?" Dana asked.

"He's a judge... why?" I asked.

"Those are demanding careers... what was your childhood like Caleb?" Dana asked.

"My childhood was fine I had everything I wanted," I said tensely.

"What is your favorite family memory growing up with your parents?" Dana asked.

"I don't know," I said tensely.

"Do you have a memory that sticks out?" Dana pushed.

"No... what does this matter anyway," I said getting defensive again.

I didn't want to talk about my parents or my upbringing. Not in this counselor's office. Not to anyone.

Zoey let go of my hand and moved closer to me.