Chapter 51

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

I sat at the dinner table just staring at Cecilia.

I just couldn't shake Courtney's words.

"That little girl isn't yours."

Just the thought of Cecilia possibly being Stewart's daughter and not mine killed me.

I've been here for her everyday of her life since she was a baby. She's my daughter in everyway that counts even if we didn't share DNA.

But I just couldn't let Courtney get in my head.

I mean Zoey and I had another test ran after all that DNA drama the first time. The results said that she was my daughter.

I shouldn't even be second-guessing Cecilia's paternity right now.

She's my daughter. I know she is.

Courtney was just messing with me, which was sick.

"Caleb," Zoey said snapping me out of my thoughts.

She touched my arm and I looked over at her.

"Is everything ok?" she asked.

I hadn't talked to Zoey about what Courtney said when I went to visit her. I wanted to wait until we were alone and the kids couldn't hear.

My mother had caught her a flight back to Atlanta but said she'd be back in a few days.

"Yeah," I said putting on a brave front.

"You kids done with your dinner," Zoey asked.

The kids nodded and Zoey told them they could go play and watch tv in the living room before having to take their baths.

As Zoey cleaned up I just sat there in deep thought.

Regardless of Cecilia being mine or on the off chance that she isn't... Stewart is alive and has been around us.

I saw the way he flirted with Zoey at the engagement party. He still loves her.

He still wants her.

I know Zoey said her feelings for Stewart were never as strong as her feelings for me... but I couldn't help but wonder how she'd feel knowing he's not dead.

Could her feelings change?

Would she want to see him?

I know we're married now and she's my wife. But in the back of my mind I had that insecurity of her connection with Stewart.

No matter how much I wanted to erase the past I couldn't ignore that they shared something that meant something to her.

I got up from the table and walked over to Zoey.

She was washing off the dishes and putting them into the dishwasher.

"Can we talk?" I asked as I came up behind her.

I hugged her from behind as I rested my chin on her shoulder.

"Of course. What about?" she said as she kept doing what she was doing.

"Come sit down with me," I said.

"Ok..." she said hesitant.

She turned off the water and closed the dishwasher.

We walked over to the table and sat down.

"What's up babe? You have a serious look to you," Zoey said.