Chapter 71

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

"Caleb just go. Mom and dad are here if I need anything," I said.

Caleb had been on his phone all night and a little bit of this morning trying to rearrange some meetings he had in Miami for his new club. There were deadlines, he needed to meet with the contractor, and getting permits and everything.

I knew Caleb didn't want to leave my side since nearly losing me but he couldn't stay by my side forever. He'd eventually have to go back to work and we'd have to get back to living our lives as normal as we could.

"I know they're here but it's not the same. I just don't want to leave you right now," he said.

"Then are you halting the Miami project?" I asked.

"Maybe I should," he said.

"Then you'll be losing money. Babe I'll be fine. I think you need to go," I said.

"Zoey I nearly lost you. I'm not risking that ever. I can halt the project until you are cleared to be on a plane. That way you and the kids are with me," Caleb reasoned.

"Caleb, Cecilia has school and we have to get back to Chicago soon so she doesn't miss anymore days and gets held back. The kids and I can't go everywhere you go. I promise I'll check in with you by text or phone call. But babe please go back to work," I said.

"Zoey-"

"Caleb please," I begged.

Caleb looked at me and placed his hand over mine.

"Maybe tomorrow," he said.

"But you had meetings this afternoon that couldn't be rescheduled. Caleb don't jeopardize your business plans because of me," I said.

"Zoey my business plans can wait. You are way more important than any club I'm trying to get up off the ground," Caleb said sternly.

"I know and I love your protectiveness over me. But you should go," I said.

"Let me go make another phone call," he said as he got up off the bed.

Caleb walked out of the bedroom with his phone in hand.

This man is not getting on a plane to Miami today. I could bet money on it.

While Caleb was on the phone I grabbed my cell phone.

I kept debating on whether I should or shouldn't reach out to Asher.

I just needed to know if he was the one here that night.

If he was would he even be honest and tell me the truth if I asked.

I would never know unless I reached out.

I dialed his number and let the phone ring.

"Hello," he answered after a couple rings.

"Hey Asher... it's Zoey," I said.

"Zoey? Hey... what's up?" he asked sounding a bit strange.

"Nothing... I was just wondering are you in Atlanta right now?" I asked.

"Actually I'm not but I'm headed back that way in the next twenty four hours. Why? Are you ok?" he asked.

Why was Asher asking me if I was ok unless he'd been here that night.

I felt in my gut that these flashbacks had to be real and not something I was just making up in my mind.

"Why would you ask if I was ok?" I asked.

"Umm... I don't know. It was just a question," Asher said sounding a bit nervous.

"Asher can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"Sure," he said.

"Were you here the night Serena shot me?" I asked bluntly.

Asher was quiet and I just took that as conformation.

"Asher I know you are the one that saved me. You took me to the hospital and made sure I would be ok," I said.

"Does Caleb know?" Asher asked sounding still nervous.

"No I haven't told him what I remember yet," I said.

"Please don't tell him. If he knew I was there and didn't call him right away that's my ass Zoey and you know it," Asher said.

"Why didn't you call Caleb? Why were you here in the first place? Asher explain your involvement in all this to me," I said.

"Zoey I can't really say too much. I'm in some hot water right now and I just can't talk about it," Asher said.

"Asher you better start filling me in or I'll tell Caleb what I remember and let him deal with you as he sees fit. I think we both know you're better off just telling me what's going on before I get Caleb involved," I said.

"Zoey I'm sorry but I really can't say anything... at least not over the phone. Look I'll be back in Atlanta soon... we could meet up and I'll tell you what you want to know," Asher said.

"You promise?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said.

"I'm trusting you Asher to keep your word here. I'll hold off on telling Caleb about any of this until we speak in person. But you better not flake on me or I'm telling Caleb everything," I said.

"Ok I promise. I'll text you once I'm back in Atlanta. Oh and Zoey. I'm sorry I didn't stick around at the hospital... But I'm glad you're ok," he said.

"Thanks. I'll see you soon," I said right before I hung up my phone and Caleb walked back into the bedroom.

I sat my phone on the nightstand and Caleb gave me a strange look.

"Who were you on the phone with?" he asked.

"Just Cheyenne. She said she'd come over and stay with me if you needed to leave town," I lied.

"Well that's good because as much as I don't want to I have to. I couldn't work anything out so I gotta get on a flight to Miami. But I promise I'll get things done quickly and be right back here in two days or less," Caleb said.

"Caleb I'm stable and doing better. I'll be fine without you for a few days. I have your parents and Cheyenne around if I need anything," I said.

"I know but nothing beats me looking after my own wife," Caleb said.

Caleb came over and kissed my forehead.

He then leaned down and pecked my lips.

"I love you and if you need anything just call me," Caleb said.

"Babe I'll be fine," I said.

Caleb nodded and pecked my lips once more.

He then walked off to get his suitcase and make sure he had his things so he could leave for the airport.

"I'll call you when I get there," Caleb said.

"Ok," I said.

Caleb gave me a kiss goodbye then left with his suitcase.

I felt bad hiding from Caleb that I remembered Asher saving me but I had to get answers out of Asher before telling Caleb anything.

Caleb was already upset about not being here to protect me. If he knew Asher was the one to save me but didn't call him to tell him what happened he'd be after him.

Caleb had work business to handle and I wanted him to focus on that.

I'd deal with Asher.