Chapter 66

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

I held Zoey's hand as we walked along the beach. Our toes sinking into the sand with every step.

"It's beautiful here," Zoey said.

The sun was shining bright and you could hear waves crashing against the ocean.

"You're beautiful," I said as I looked over at her.

Zoey blushed and rested her head against my shoulder.

"Lets go into the water," she said as she stopped.

"No lets stay back," I said as I stood beside her.

Zoey let go of my hand and started walking backwards towards the ocean.

"Zoe come back," I said.

Zoey moved further and further back entering the water.

It was almost as if she was drifting away.

"Zoey come back," I called out.

"I love you Caleb," she said.

"I love you too now come out of the water," I said.

"I can't... Caleb help me before it's too late," Zoey said, as she slowly seemed to disappear.

"Zoey! Baby! Come back!" I panicked.

Soon there was no one there, just the waves.

I woke up suddenly and sat up quickly.

I was breathing heavily like I was in a panic.

I blinked a few times and looked around.

I was in the guestroom of my parent's home and my kids weren't in bed with me.

"Hello," I said.

I got out of bed feeling empty inside.

I was having such a good dream until it ended.

I dreamt that I was walking on the beach just holding hands with Zoey.

We'd actually done that a few times and I never really cherished those moments until now.

I left the bedroom and went downstairs.

Maybe the kids were eating breakfast.

When I got downstairs I saw my mom wrapped up in a blanket sitting on the couch. She was looking at an old photo album.

"Morning mom.... Where are the kids?" I asked

"Your father took the kids out for breakfast. He said he'd bring us something back," my mother said as I sat down next to her.

"Oh..." I said.

"How did you sleep?" she asked.

"It was hard to fall asleep at first. But I slept alright... I guess. I miss her mom it's still surreal to me that Zoey's gone," I said.

"I know and believe me I'm going to make sure who ever killed her is brought to justice. My poor grandbabies..." my mother said.

"I couldn't look at her body yesterday mom," I said.

"That's understandable... I couldn't look at the body either," my mother said.

"Wait you didn't..." I questioned.