Chapter 48

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

I swallowed hard as I was face to face with Courtney. She had been lying this whole time pretending to be someone else.

I had just gotten a photo message from Caleb's mom showing me Courtney's new appearance since being released from the mental institution.

She looked just like the woman Abby I'd recently befriended.

I felt like such a fool!

How could I not notice this earlier?

I mean her appearance had changed but her actions not so much if you really think about it.

I mean she complimented Caleb more than once and her compliment the other night before we headed to the bar was inappropriate.

Shit!

What was I going to do?

I couldn't call her out on it because she might lose it.

I know how dangerous Courtney is.

Wait... could she have something to do with Caleb's recent disappearance?

I mean he sounded off on the phone.

But then again Caleb is a man... he's strong... Courtney might be crazy but she couldn't kidnap my husband, right?

Either way I had to do some digging.

I need to get this bitch talking.

"Mom I'll call you back later," I said as I hung up my phone.

"Hey Zoey... what's that look for? It's like you've almost seen a ghost," Abby said with a fake smile.

"Oh it's nothing. Come on in," I said as I stood back and let her into my home.

"How's your head? You drank a lot last night... I was wondering if you'd be hung over this morning," Abby said.

"Oh I had a bad headache when I first woke up but I'm fine now. You know I was surprised the drinks hit me so hard considering I didn't drink all that much. I'm usually not such a light weight," I said as we entered the living room.

"Well maybe it's your age catching up to you," Abby joked as she took a seat on my couch.

"So what brings you by?" I asked.

"Just thought I'd check in... I was bored at home," Abby said.

"You never told me what street you live on... maybe I could stop by your place tomorrow and take a peek at your crib," I said.

"Like I said my place is not ready for company," Abby said.

"Oh I won't judge," I said.

"Really Zoey it's not ready for guests. But I'll let you know when I'm ready to host company," Abby said sternly.

"Ok... are you thirsty. I could get you a drink," I offered.

"No I'm fine," Abby said.

"So you said you recently moved here... where are you from originally?" I asked.

"I'm from all over..." Abby said in a sort tone.

"Oh... do you come from a military family?" I asked.

"No. My father was a huge business man so my family traveled a lot when I was younger," Abby said.

"Have any siblings?" I asked.