Chapter 76

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

Caleb sat on the bed right next to me. He wanted answers but I didn't know if he could handle them.

"Talk Zoe," Caleb said.

"I already told you I was trying to help Asher," I said.

"Why? And what did you find out about Stewart and his father. Zoey I want the truth," Caleb said.

I sighed.

"Asher was the one who saved me that night Serena shot me. I had a flashback and remembered him taking me to the hospital. I called him and he did admit to being there and helping me. He told me he was in deep trouble with his boss... the person he sells drugs for... that person happens to be Stewart's father. Since faking his death and moving overseas Stewart has overseen his father's drug business. Asher apparently stole some weight and money from the Livingston's. He admitted to stealing money out of your safe but moved drugs through your Vegas club to repay the money before you noticed. Asher just wanted from under the Livingston's thumb. He just wanted me to get Stewart's confession on tape. I got it until Stewart caught me. I barely got out of Stewart's house just now without him killing me with his bare hands," I explained.

Caleb sat beside me quiet and in shock.

"So Stewart's family deals drugs... like he's father is a king pin?" Caleb asked.

"Yeah," I admitted.

"Well this explains why it's always been so easy for Courtney to get her hands on the shit... why she always had the hook up when I wanted it," Caleb said.

"Caleb, Stewart confessed everything. I almost was home free and able to help Asher," I said.

"Why did you not tell me any of this? Why did you put yourself in danger for Asher of all people!" Caleb said upset.

"He saved me so I felt I owed him," I said.

"He put you in harms way and didn't bother to call me when he witnessed you get shot! I swear the next time I see him..." Caleb said angry.

Caleb got up and paced the floor.

"Caleb I'm safe," I said.

"But the fucker put his hands on you... wait how did you even get him to confess?" Caleb asked.

I was quiet.

I knew Caleb wasn't going to like this next part.

"Zoey tell me!" Caleb demanded.

"I let him feel me up and I made out with him... I made him think you and I were over and that I was ready to be with him," I admitted.

"You're kidding right?" Caleb said as he stopped pacing and glared at me.

"It was a lie! I just needed him to trust me and let his guard down. I needed him to tell me the information I went there for," I explained.

"You cheated on me is what you did! You lied to me and betrayed my trust! And all for what? To save Asher's ass! Zoey I thought you were dead for hours! My heart ached for you! While all along Asher knew you were safe and sound in a hospital bed! He could have called me but he didn't! You remember him helping you but yet you keep that from me! Zoey we're married! We're supposed to be a team! We're supposed to be honest with each other no matter what! But all you've done is hid things, lied, and gone behind my back with a man I'm starting to think you aren't really over," Caleb said.

Was Caleb serious right now?

"Caleb I am over Stewart! He just tried to choke me to death!" I argued.

"And? Maybe you like that shit! Maybe it's your two's way of foreplay? Hell I don't know," Caleb said.

"You can't mean that," I said.

"Zoey I have been trying to be the husband you need, you want, you deserve. But I just get the feeling I'm not good enough. I'm not who you lean on. Who you trust, who you count on in these times of distress," Caleb said defeated.

"Caleb you are a good husband and I love you. I just didn't want you to worry," I said as I stood up.

"You think when I walked in and you weren't here and you didn't answer your phone that I wasn't worried! I didn't even want to leave you here alone this morning but I did. Zoey I've come so close to loosing you more times than I can count. But today you made the decision to stupidly put yourself in harms way for no fucking reason! It was selfish of you to do that! Do you not think about our kids! About me when you go run off and do this reckless bullshit!" Caleb shouted.

"I was trying to help Asher," I argued.

"Fuck him! We did what we had to before when getting Stewart to confess and that time we worked as a team. But this... Zoey this reckless bullshit I am not ok with! You are still healing from a bullet wound and surgery! Instead of staying safely in our home you're just throwing yourself into the line of fire and for what... for Asher's no good ass. Yeah Asher and I were cool and use to be friends. But the mess he got himself into is not my problem and it sure as hell isn't yours. Zoey I can't keep doing this with you. I know you are use to taking care of yourself and being alone do to your upbringing. But you have me! A man that loves you with all his heart! A man who will lay down his life for yours with no question! A man who will always put you and the kids first! Zoey you can't do this stupid shit anymore! You can't go behind my back making me worry!" Caleb said.

I felt horrible that Caleb felt like I was shutting him out.

That was never my intention.

I walked up to him and reached out to cup his face in my hands.

He took a step back not letting me touch him.

"Babe I'm sorry. I should have told you," I said.

"You're right you should have. Because had you told me I would have told you that plan was stupid and you weren't doing it. But you made your decision so now I'm making mine," he said.

"Caleb what does that mean?" I asked worried.

"It means if you can't trust me enough to protect you and you want to just do everything yourself then maybe we shouldn't be married," Caleb said.

"What?" I questioned confused.

"I want to be married. I want us to be partners but you constantly shut me out. You constantly don't trust me as the man in your life to protect you," Caleb said.

"That's not true," I said.

"It is and it's hurtful. Zoey I waited until I was in my forties to get married. You're my one but I don't think I'm yours," Caleb said hurt.

"Caleb don't do this. I love you. I'm sorry for not telling you what Asher and I had planned," I apologized desperately.

"I'm sorry too. But I just can't keep doing this," Caleb said sounding done.

"So what are you saying?" I asked.

"You want to do everything yourself... so do it. I'm done," Caleb said.

Caleb took off his wedding band and my heart sunk.

"When you want a husband let me know," Caleb said as he left his ring on the nightstand and walked out.

I felt tears burning my eyes.

I didn't want Caleb to leave!

I grabbed his ring and went after him.

"Caleb stop!" I called after him.

Caleb rushed down the stairs and I hurried after him.

"Caleb don't walk out on me!" I called after him.

Caleb got to the front door as I got to the bottom of the stairs.

"What happened to fighting for this family... for me! What kind of man walks out on his wife and kids?" I said as Caleb opened the front door.

Caleb turned back and looked at me.

"The kind of man whose wife doesn't want him!" he said right before he walked out, slamming the door behind him.