Chapter 58

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

Dinner sure was tense.

Caleb didn't say much and neither did I. His mother only spoke with the children, which didn't make for much conversation to be had.

Caleb had taken the kids upstairs to get them bathed and ready for bed.

I was now in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes with his mother.

I could feel her eyes on me as I picked up the plates from the table.

I was sure Caleb had spoken with his mother while I had been out earlier in the day. I knew he probably told her I had refused to make a statement about Stewart to the police on his behalf to get Stewart arrested.

"He belongs behind bars Zoey," Mrs. Atwood finally spoke to me.

I sighed as I walked over to the sink.

"Can we please not talk about this," I said.

"No we're talking about this whether you like it or not! That man kidnapped my son and nearly killed you five years ago! Zoey how can you stand by and be complicit? You are my daughter in law. You are my son's wife! You are the mother of my two beautiful grandkids! I have been respectful and very supportive but right now I have to be honest with you like I'm honest with my son when he's in the wrong. Zoey you are acting very naïve and stupid! You are being careless of not only your safety but the safety of my grandbabies by letting that man roam free!" Mrs. Atwood scolded.

"You don't understand," I said as I placed the dishes in the sink.

"Are you in love with him?" Mrs. Atwood asked me.

"What kind of question is that? Yes I'm in love with him! He's my husband," I said defensively.

"I'm not talking about my son I'm talking about Stewart Livingston," Mrs. Atwood clarified.

"No I'm not in love with him," I said.

"Then why are you protecting him?" she asked.

"Why does everyone keep saying that? I'm not protecting him!" I said frustrated.

"Well you're not protecting my son or my grandkids... hell you aren't even protecting yourself," Mrs. Atwood said disappointed.

"Stewart is harmless," I said.

"Zoey are you the one on drugs now?" Mrs. Atwood asked.

"No," I said annoyed.

"How can you call him harmless when he tried to kill you!" Mrs. Atwood argued.

"You wouldn't understand," I said.

"Enlighten me," Mrs. Atwood said.

"He was there for me when your son was putting me through hell. When I had no one to turn to Stewart was there," I argued.

"I would hardly call my son's drug addiction and cheating because of that addiction him putting you through hell! You were sleeping with a man behind my son's back while he was working to get himself clean. You're telling me your affair with Stewart was something that helped you get through a rough time! Zoey grow up and please woman up! You were weak! You were not fully prepared for what it took to be by a man's side who was truly in a dark place. My son could have used you at that time in his life and while you did help get him clean it is painful to accept that back then he only had half of you. Zoey my son might not show it but the thought of you with Stewart pains him. He's insecure with what seems to be your lingering feelings for that abuser!" Mrs. Atwood explained.