Chapter 44

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

I stood back in the distance as Caleb shook hands with the worker.

Caleb had all the locks changed to our house. He got our garage door opener codes changed. He even had security cameras installed outside of the house and in the backyard. As one last measure he got us a whole new alarm system.

When we moved here this neighborhood was so safe and we didn't need to take all these extra measures to make sure our family was safe.

Now it felt less like a home and more like fort knox.

I knew this was all for the safety of our kids as well as our selves but I just didn't like this.

It almost felt like the intruder won since we now no longer felt safe in our own home.

Caleb shut the front door and turned around.

"Here are your new house keys," he said handing me the keys.

"I don't like this. All these extra security measures makes me feel like we're just waiting for something bad to happen," I said.

"Well I'm not taking any chances. I'm going to look into getting a gun as well," Caleb said as he walked off.

Caleb headed back to his home office and I followed him.

It was one thing to get security cameras and an alarm system update but I wasn't ok with us owning a gun.

"Caleb we're not getting a gun," I said as I walked into his office.

"Zoey this isn't up for discussion. I'm going to purchase a gun and if you want I'll take you to the gun range to get you more comfortable with shooting. Hell I'll hire a bodyguard to be here when I'm not. Your safety and the kids safety is nothing I'm about to play with," Caleb said sternly.

"Babe I understand you want to protect me and the kids but you can do that without a gun. I don't like guns," I reasoned.

"Zoey as the man of this house... as your husband I will do everything in my power to keep you and the kids safe. I'm getting a gun," he said sternly.

Caleb sat down in his chair and I sighed and placed my hand to his desk as I leaned against it.

"I really thought Chicago was a fresh start for us. I thought we'd be safe here. Away from all the drama and danger we faced in Atlanta," I said feeling defeated.

"Zoey we are safe here. Courtney can't hurt us. She has no clue where we are," Caleb said.

When Caleb said that I got alarmed.

Who was even talking about Courtney?

"What does Courtney have to do with this?" I asked.

"Nothing. I'm just saying. She was the only person after us and she's far away in Atlanta," Caleb clarified.

"Yeah. Locked up in a mental institution thankfully," I said.

Caleb was quiet.

I moved off the desk and pushed his chair back.

I stood between his legs as he looked up at me.

"I'll always protect you Zoey," Caleb said.

"I know that. You've more than proven that to me," I said.

Caleb stood up and I looked up into his blue eyes.

"I love you Zoey Atwood. I would lay down my life to spare yours... you know that right?" Caleb questioned.