Chapter 64

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

"Caleb I love you."

Were the last words she said before her hand slipped out of mine. I saw her slowly drift away almost falling, as I couldn't save her.

"ZOEY!" I screamed for her.

She was gone... disappeared... only now a memory.

I woke up as I felt the car stop.

I was outside the Atlanta police station.

I had been in Miami only a few hours before having a drink with an old friend when I got the call that Stewart had been released from jail.

I had called Zoey right away and everything seemed fine during our conversation until I heard what sounded like a gunshot.

I panicked and screamed her name then the phone line went dead.

I was scared and called my parents urging them to rush home to see what was going on.

Zoey and the kids were staying with them in Atlanta at their home since I felt it was the only safe place for my family given all the recent events.

My parents had been out with my kids getting dinner and were at least thirty minutes away from the house.

I told them about my phone call with Zoey and had them call the police.

I had rushed off from the bar and went to my hotel to get my things so I could fly to Atlanta.

My parents had gotten off the phone with me when I asked them to call the police.

After being able to get a ticket for a last minute flight I called my parents.

The second my mom answered the phone I knew it was bad news.

She was crying and could barely speak.

She ended up handing the phone to my father who told me the police arrived to their house and found Zoey shot and killed upstairs in a guest bedroom.

My heart dropped and I felt numb.

This couldn't be real I thought to myself.

My father had to have it all wrong.

There was no way Zoey was dead.

My father told me when the police arrived it was already too late.

I didn't want to hear any of that.

I hung up my phone and boarded the flight.

I kept telling myself they had it all wrong.

I kept telling myself this wasn't real.

I had to be dreaming.

Yeah this is some kind of fucked up nightmare right.

When the plane landed in Atlanta I had a text from my father saying he was at the police station and I should meet him there.

I did just that once I got in a taxi.

I was now sitting in the taxi outside of the police station not wanting to go inside and face this.

I took a deep breath and got out of the taxi. I grabbed my suitcase and paid the driver.

I closed the door and stood on the sidewalk just looking toward the building as the taxi driver drove off.

Slowly I approached the entrance doors and entered the police station.