Chapter 1

Steve's POV

We fought our way into the Hydra base and saw men scattering to either fight or run.

"Clint, Nat, block the exits. Tony and Sam, keep high. Wanda and Vision, you two stay on this level. Thor, Pietro and I will go down to the basement." I ordered. I looked at Thor and Pietro before leading the way downstairs. When we got to the bottom it was empty and cold, freezer cold.

"Steve, what are we doing down here?" Pietro frowned.

"Just checking. We can't leave anyone behind," I turned to Thor, motioning towards the door. "Would you do the honors?"

"It would be my pleasure." He grinned before knocking down the door. The room was dark and visually empty until I noticed a slight movement out of the corner of my eye. I walked further into the dark room.

"Please...stop." A small voice begged. I stopped in my tracks and tried to focus my eyes in the darkness.

"I'm here to help, but I can't help you if you don't come out." I said softly. There was no reply, so I took off my helmet. The voice gave no response, but a shaking, dark skinned hand reached out to me. I took the hand and pulled to reveal a girl in a stained white sundress and long curly hair. She reached for my face and held it in her hands, studying me.

"W-Who are you?" She stuttered.

"I'm Steve."

"Steve..."

"Who are you?"

"I-I don't know." I picked up the girl and let her hide her face in my shirt. She looked about 13 or 14 years old; just a kid. I carried her out of the room to the faces of my confused teammates.

"Who is she?" Pietro hesitated.

"Civilian. We need to get her medical attention." I replied walking past him and Thor. I walked to the quinjet with the girl gripping onto my uniform and shivering every now and then. When I got to the quinjet, Bruce was waiting in confusion.

"Who is this?"

"She needs your help, doctor." I stated.

"Jesus, for the last time, I'm not that kind of doctor, Steve. I tell you guys that all the time!" I gave him a pleading look and the physicist relented. "When we get to the lab I'll call Dr. Cho and we can take a look at her." I nodded and took a seat. When everyone else entered, they slowly began to crowd around me and the new addition to the jet.

"Is she alright?" Natasha asked, brushing some hair away from the girl. She flinched and her eyes looked at Natasha.

"Steve." She squeaked in fear.

"Hey, you're okay. You're alright." I consoled. The girl looked at me with her brown eyes and visually calmed.

"Seems like she likes you." Clint observed.

"I guess." The girl yawned and I saw her struggling to stay awake.

"You can sleep. No one will hurt you and I won't leave. I promise." I whispered. She nodded and rested against my chest as her eyes closed. When I was sure she was asleep, I looked over at Wanda.

"Can you see what she's thinking?" I asked, hopefully.

"I tried. All I see is fear and confusion. She seems as confused about who she is as we are." Wanda replied. I sucked my teeth and looked back at the sleeping girl in my lap.

"So no one's gonna ask Steve how he got so good at caring for children?" Tony wondered aloud. I gave him a roll of my eyes.

"She's scared. I know how to deal with scared." I answered.

When the jet landed, I was the first one out, eager to get the clearly exhausted girl to the infirmary. She didn't even shift as I walked briskly into the tower. Bucky stood at the entrance with Maria.

"What's with the kid, Cap?" Maria asked.

"She was alone at the Hydra base. She doesn't even know who she is." I explained.

"Hydra had her? How old is she?" Bucky inquired.

"I don't know. Maybe 13 or 14." Bucky's face lit up with a look of realization.

"Buck, did you know her?" I asked.

"Sort of. They called her The Pacifier. Hydra's been experimenting on her for 5 years. She was supposed to be like me, an assassin. They would wipe her a lot more than me and I was in charge of her training." Bucky elaborated.

"Wait, how long has she been there?"

"Baron Von Strucker killed her parents when she was around 6. She was a prisoner until he found a use for her." I was so shocked by the description of events that I didn't even realize Bruce was in front of me.

"Dr. Cho is here, so I can bring the girl to the infirmary." Bruce said. I nodded and handed her to him, watching as he hurriedly walked away with her.

"The Pacifier." I repeated to myself.

Bruce's POV

"Her body has taken many beatings in the past that haven't properly healed. We have a broken ankle, sprained ulna, and countless broken and bruised ribs. Recently though she's been starved; it doesn't look like she's eaten in weeks." Helen observed, reading the reports from the X-ray and tests we ran.

"She seems healthy enough besides the obvious, if you can even call it healthy." I scratched my chin and looked at the girl's head.

"FRIDAY, can I see the brain scans?" I called to the AI system.

"Of course Dr. Banner." She replied. The girl's brain scan came up on the hologram and I noticed something odd.

"Now, I'm no neurologist, but something looks wrong here. Do you see it Dr. Cho?" I remarked. Helen took a closer look and gasped.

"Her hippocampus! She's missing core memories."

"Much like Bucky when he first came here. Hydra used to wipe her too." I concluded. I swiped up from the scans and sighed.

"She'll be fine, but her memory may be gone...indefinitely."

A/N: Wow look at that, words that I wrote. It feels weird being back, but I'm super excited about this book and sharing it with you guys. It took me like 3 years to write this and now I give you my trash baby :). Don't forget to comment, like, and share this with your friends. I'm gonna do updates most every Tuesday and Thursday so look out for that. Thank you for reading :)))))) <3.