Chapter 41

*1 Month Later*

Lyric's POV

"Peter, I can't talk right now. I'm trying to put up this Christmas tree before Mom comes back home." I sighed, taking out the tinsel I bought.

"You're not spending Christmas with us this year?" He sighed.

"It's my first Christmas in years with my mom, I don't want to miss it."

"We're gonna miss you this year. Especially your dads."

"They'll be fine, besides I'm still a little pissed about what Papa did."

"I get it...I'm gonna miss kissing you under the mistletoe, though." I scoffed and rolled my eyes,

"You kiss me everywhere, anytime."

"Just means I miss another opportunity."

"I'll call later. Love you."

"I love you too." I hung up the phone and looked at the half made tree. I was so excited to spend my first Christmas with my mother in many years. I looked around for wrapping paper so I could wrap the gift I got for mom. Maybe she had some in the basement.

I walked down the stairs into the dimly lit basement. It was truthfully daunting, but I've dealt with Hydra so this was minor. I walked down and opened the nearest closet. As soon as I pulled it open, a video camera along with some old children's toys fell out. They must've been mine from when I was younger. Maybe mom had home videos on here of me. I turned the camera on and pressed play on the first video in rotation.

^^^

"Say hi to the camera Nina," James said cheerfully. Nina sat with Lyric in her arms, tiredly soothing the child back to sleep.

"James please...put the camera away." Nina pleaded.

"At least say hi to your daughter. Lyric's gonna love watching these videos when she grows up." James smiled. Nina gave a forced smile and waved slightly at the camera.

"Hi, Lyric." She said as James zoomed in on her with the baby in her arms. He turned the camera back to his own face.

"We can't wait to watch you grow up Lyric. I just know you're gonna change the world someday." James said softly.

^^^

A smile found its way on my face and I couldn't shake it. I don't have much recollection of my father, but here he is, and he always believed in me. I clicked on the next video.

^^^

"Come on Lyric, come to me." Jennifer, the nanny, encouraged. 9-month-old Lyric stood on wobbly legs as she attempted to toddle over to the young woman. She took one awkward step after another until she was finally in the nanny's arms.

"Good job, pretty girl!" Jennifer cheered, kissing the baby's chubby cheeks. Lyric giggled from the praise and the door opened.

"Jennifer I'm back," Nina called walking into the house.

"Nina, Lyric just took her first steps! Lyric, walk to mommy." Jennifer said excitedly.

"Jennifer that's ok. I have a migraine so I'm gonna go lie down. Good job Lyric. Such a smart child." Nina said dismissively. She walked up the stairs and Jennifer looked down at the little baby.

"You're doing great sweetheart. You're gonna be so smart I just know it." She said affectionately.

^^^