Chapter 51

*4 Weeks Till The Wedding*

Peter's POV

I walked into Lyric's office, hoping to find Tony working. Instead, I was met with her standing in a white dress.

"Wanda, please call every name on that list and check to see if their coming. Ask if they want the chicken or the fish." Lyric requested.

"Alright. I have Dr. Morison on line two for you." Wanda replied.

"Patch him through to my Bluetooth." Lyric pressed a button and turned, letting the woman next to her fix the dress.

"Hi...yes I have the details on the accounts..." She sighed. Wanda turned and looked at me.

"Peter! You didn't RSVP yet. You are coming, right?" She asked.

"Yeah, of course," I muttered, turning away from Lyric in the dress.

"Fish or chicken?"

"Chicken, I guess."

"Yes sir, the donation is very much appreciated...thank you, have a great day." Lyric said ending her call.

"Wanda, send Jack to the florist's, please. I still need to pick up the bridesmaid dresses." Lyric asked, turning to Wanda and I. Her eyes widened finding me there.

"Oh Peter, hey." She smiled.

"You look beautiful," I said softly.

"Thanks. Gina, we almost done here?" The woman fixing Lyric's dress hummed and stood up.

"Yeah sweetie, we're done." She smiled. Lyric nodded and stepped off of her little stand.

"What brings you here?" She asked me.

"Looking for Mr. Stark," I answered.

"Oh, he and Pepper took Morgan to get fitted for her dress. Wanda, did I print out the rehearsal dinner invites?"

"They're right here ready to be mailed. I'm gonna drop them off right now." Wanda said, getting up.

"Ok. See you tonight." Lyric agreed.

"What's tonight?" I asked.

"Bachelorette party."

"Fun." That all too familiar silence fell over us once again.

"So, you bringing anyone to the wedding?" Lyric asked slowly.

"N-no. I thought I'd just go with Ned and Michelle." I stuttered.

"Oh, that's fine. I just wanted to know if I needed to put an extra seat at your table."

"Yeah don't worry about it. You've probably already got so much on your mind." Lyric laughed and nodded.

"You have no idea. I'm actually running a bit late for an appointment. Unlace my dress for me, please?" She asked.

"Sure." I grabbed one of the silk soft ties and pulled it loose. Lyric stepped out of the dress in a white silk slip. She looked radiant.

"I need to hurry up and get dressed. I'll see you around." Lyric sighed running off.

"Bye..." I said mostly to myself.

Lyric's POV

It was around 7 when I came back to the tower. I ran my fingers through my freshly done shoulder-length black hair with dark blue highlights. Yes, I'm cheesy because I got blue to remind me of Jack's eyes. I stepped out of the elevator and was met with darkness. Everyone must be asleep. Suddenly the lights turned on and I was crowned.

"Happy Bachelorette party!" Wanda squealed. Nat and Pepper threw confetti over me making me laugh.

"You guys are the best. What are we doing first?" I asked.

"Rom Coms!" Pepper sang playfully.

*3 hours later*

"10 Things I Hate About You will always have a special place in my heart." I sniffled, wiping my happy tears.

"It's almost as romantic as the story of you and Jack," Nat smirked.

"Oh, Lyric please tell it again! I love that story." Wanda begged.

"Alright, well you know it started about 3 months after that first party I planned."

~~

"Lyric, you need to get out of the tower. Your summer is passing you by." Papa encouraged.

"I don't wanna do anything," I mumbled, throat burning from all my crying. All the curtains in my room were drawn closed, keeping me in absolute darkness.

"Doll, please? At least run down to the store and grab a few things for us?" Dad asked.

"It's 10 at night!"

"You can go all by yourself." I slowly sat up, popping my joints.

"Fine." I relented. Papa and Dad left me to get dressed. I put on a light jacket, blue jeans, and slides. I walked out of the tower and looked up at the sky, dark with clouds. I pulled my hood over my head and walked to the nearby late-night bodega. I looked down at my phone and saw a list of milk, apples, and bananas. I quickly purchased the items and started back to the house.

That's when the rain began.

I was being pelted by bullet-like raindrops as I trekked home. I was about a block or two from home when I bumped into someone.

"Miss are you okay?" A familiar voice asked. I looked up to see Jack holding an umbrella. My face turned to a scowl and I backed away.

"Yeah, whatever." I scoffed.

"Lyric, wait!" Jack frowned. He reached out for me but I evaded his touch.

"What? What could you possibly want?!" I screeched.

"I want to make sure you're okay."

"No thanks to you!"

"What does that mean?"

"You knew I had a boyfriend yet you still hung around me. Now...now I have nothing."

"Lyric, we were friends. If Peter had a problem with that he should've spoken with you or even me."

"...just stay away from me." I began to walk back into the pelting rain until an arm pulled me back. Jack dropped his umbrella, staring me down with those impossibly blue eyes.

"No, I'm not letting you walk away, cause I'm not Peter. Listen Lyric, I think you're amazing. I was drawn in by your looks but captured by your personality. I stuck around knowing you had a boyfriend because I'd rather be your friend than just some person you occasionally say hi to. You're special and I'm sorry Peter didn't see that, but that's his loss. Please don't shut me out because of his mistakes." Jack said seriously. And we stood there in the rain, water hitting us hard. I blinked in disbelief.

"How could you say that about me? You barely know me." I choked.

"I know enough to trust you are who you say you are." My eyes widened hearing that word.

"Say that again." I pleased.

"Say what?" Jack asked.

"That you trust me...please. I need to hear someone say it."

"I trust you, Lyric Rogers-Barnes. I trust you, I trust you so much." I fell into Jack's arms reveling in his comforting touch.

"Thank you, thank you." I gasped.

"I'm gonna take care of you. I'll be here for you." He promised.

~~

"The end gets me all the time." Wanda laughed, wiping an imaginary tear from her eye.

"You two are such a supportive couple. It's such a healthy relationship." Pepper commented.

"That's why I love him. I can't wait to marry Jack." I smiled.