Chapter 33

*3 Weeks Later*

Lyric's POV

A scream was caught in my throat as I woke up to the muffled sounds of cars from outside. I looked around for any signs of danger before wiping my face.

New Year, New Terrors.

That nightmare felt...so real. It was dark, with a blurry figure standing over me. Their eyes were red and evil as they reached for me, grabbing at my soul. I fought them back but my movements were sluggish and weak. The figure covered my eyes with their clawed hands and took my soul.

I crawled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen to get a glass of water when a noise alerted me. I summoned a ball of green energy and turned. Thomas stood at the kitchen entrance, eyes wide open.

"I'm sorry...I just needed some coffee." He whispered. I looked at the clock over the stove and frowned.

3:57 AM

"It's late and you're drinking coffee. Are you working in Uncle Tony's lab?" I asked, standing down.

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep." I passed Thomas the coffee pot and sat on the counter across from him.

"How are you liking your room here? I feel like I barely see you." I yawned. After Christmas, Thomas moved in so he could be closer to the tower and able to help out whenever.

"It's nice. Fancier than anything I've ever had." Thomas smiled, grabbing a mug.

"Tell me about it. It's weird getting used to."

"But isn't this what you've always had? You're Tony's niece."

"No one told you? Tony's not my biological uncle. I was found at a Hydra base when I was like 13. Hydra kidnapped me when I was 6 and killed my parents. They gave me my powers."

"Wow, that's crazy. So what you're like 19 now?"

"17. You?"

"I'm 21."

"Oh, are you still in college?"

"My life is pretty much this internship. I don't have enough for college. It's just me supporting myself. What college are you thinking about?" Sheesh, I hate that question. I looked down at my hands and started nervously fiddling with my fingers.

"College isn't really for me. I'm probably gonna be here fighting crime or something." I shrugged, refusing to meet Thomas's eyes.

"So this is it for you?" He asked.

"Most likely."

"Yeah, I can relate to that." At this, I looked at Thomas who was watching me with those deep blue eyes.

"So, how does your telepathy work? Like, can you show me?" I asked, clearing my throat.

"Sure," Thomas smirked.

I think you're gorgeous

I gasped at the voice in my head and looked back at Thomas.

"So you can talk to me through your head?" I grinned.

"Pretty much. It's not as cool as some of my other skills though." Thomas teased.

"Other skills? Don't leave me in the dark now."

"Go get a sweater and meet me on the roof." Thomas left and I followed his instructions. I picked up one of Dad's sweaters and put on my boots. When I arrived on the roof, Thomas sat on a blanket, looking up at the sky.

"I'm also a huge astrology nerd." He said, noting my presence. I smiled and sat next to him.

"Can you show me where the Big Dipper is? Peter always tries to show me, but I can never find it." Thomas chuckled and pulled me closer to him. My ears got hot as I looked up at the sky.

"Alright, so you see the brightest star?" He asked. I hummed in response.

"So follow the stars down there and that's the handle. Now, move over three stars to the right and that's the base." Thomas continued. I gasped as I saw the dipper.

"I see it!" I cheered. Thomas smiled at my excited face.

I take it back, you're absolutely enthralling.

I blushed and looked at him, that charming smile still on his face.

What am I doing?

Thomas and I stayed awake until the sun came up watching stars and getting to know each other. As soon as 10 o'clock came, Natasha woke me up to train with her and then I had lessons from 12.

Now at 3, I sat in the kitchen, frustrated at my Calculus homework, just wishing it would do itself.

"What's up?" Thomas asked, sliding on the stool next to me.

"Calc homework. It's hell." I groaned.

"Then just don't do it." I looked at him in shock.

"Tom, I have to do my homework. Uncle Bruce trusts me to do my work all the time." Thomas laughed, low and dark as he leaned in close.

"Don't tell me you always follow the rules, sweetheart?" I gulped and shifted my eyes back to my paper.

"I don't always...I just find that it's better to." I mumbled.

"But it's easier to not, trust me. All this homework isn't gonna mean shit when you're busting drug dealers and taking down intergalactic predators." Damn, he was right. What's the point of me doing all this work if I'm just gonna be the weapon I was made to be?

The elevator dinged and I turned to see Peter walking out.

"Hey, Pete." I smiled. He smiled back,

"Hey babe," his smile faltered when he saw Thomas. "What's up, Thomas?"

"Nothing but the sky, Parker," Thomas replied as he exited the kitchen. Peter rolled his eyes before sitting across from me, placing a quick kiss on my cheek.

"Whatcha doing?" He asked.

"Calculus. It's so pointless. What am I gonna need calculus for in the real world? I fight crime, not numbers."

"That's school for you. Most of what you learn is pointless unless you need it, but you still gotta do it. Let me help you out." Peter moved next to me, taking my pencil in his arms. I looked over my shoulder to see Thomas smirking at me.

Maybe I do always follow the rules.