Chapter 72

Lyric's POV

"I don't understand." I said quietly, May and I holding each other's hand tightly.

"Mr. Parker came in with severe internal bleeding. Hoping to get that under control, we took him up to surgery immediately. After the surgery, we began to run neurological tests. Mrs. Parker, Miss Parker, Peter threw a clot in his brain during surgery. He is brain dead." The doctor explained sympathetically. May sobbed into her free hand and dropped her head on my shoulder.

"His heart is beating, b-blood is pumping through his veins. Peter is fine!" I denied.

"Mrs. Parker-"

"My name is Lyric! Please, let's drop the formalities." I growled.

"Lyric, the brain tells the body what to do. Peter is only still technically alive because of the machines he's hooked up to."

"But he is alive!"

"Lyric...he's not alive, not in all the ways that matter." May cried, squeezing my hand. At that squeeze, a tear escaped my eye and I let out a gasp of shock.

"He can't hear me? Or feel me? Or talk to me?" I mumbled.

"I'm so sorry." The doctor apologized again. I looked over at May's tear streaked face and shook my head.

"The kids..." I whimpered, sobs escaping my lips. May pulled me into a hug and let me cry as loud as I wished into her shoulder.

"Lyric, I know this isn't a good time but we need to talk about end of life care." The doctor said softly. I looked up at him, lip quivering.

"You want me to sign a paper to kill my husband?" I choked out.

"I know it's hard but it's all necessary." I took the papers a bit hurriedly and looked over at Peter, an overwhelming sickness taking over me. I quickly signed and handed it back.

"Take all the time you need and call me when you're ready." The doctor said. He left the room and I looked at May.

"Take your time with him now. I'll let everyone else know what happened." I said shakily. May nodded, and took Peter's hand in her own. I walked out to the waiting room where everyone sat expectantly.

"The doctor couldn't release any details to us because we aren't legally family. How is he?" Nat asked. I looked at everyones eyes watching mine and threw up in the closest garbage.

"Woah, Doll, you okay? Is it bad?" Dad asked nervously.

How do I say it out loud? I can't say it out loud because then it becomes real. I can still see him smiling at me, I can still feel his kiss and touch all over my body, I can still see him playing with our children, making them laugh.

Am I just supposed to say the words that will turn those visions into nothing but mere memories? Events and actions that will never happen again?

My mouth opened to speak but all that came out was a troubled cry. I fell into dad's arms, clutching him and hoping he could make it all better.

"I don't wanna be here anymore! I can't take anymore!" I sobbed brokenly. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to push away this reality and be anywhere else but here.

I just wanted to be with Peter.

"Lyric, what happened?" Papa asked. He placed a hand on my shoulder, bringing me back to this cold cruel reality.

"No! Let me be with him, where he goes, I go." I barked feverishly.

"Please don't tell me..." Clint trailed off. The door to Peter's room was pulled open, rather violently. I lifted my head from dad's shoulder to see Tony as he stood at the doorway, silent.

"Pete?" He whimpered softly.

~*~

"You sure you don't want the kids in here?" Wanda asked. I shook my head.

"I don't want this being the last way they see him. I wish this wasn't the last way I saw him." I stated firmly. Wanda left me by Peter's bed, as I stroked his hair.

"Whatever happened to forever, Bug?" I whispered. More silent tears fell from my eyes.

Nothing, I have nothing left without you, Peter Parker. I look at our children and I'm reminded of you, but I don't want you to be just a memory. I want to feel you, hear you, and be with you.

"Oh, Peter." I sniffled.

"You don't have to miss him, you know." A voice said. I quickly turned around to find the source of the voice.

"Who said that? Show yourself." I growled, my eyes flashing green.

"There's another world where he's alive and you haven't experienced the pains of the past. I can take you there and you can start over." The voice continued. Another world? Another chance to see him again?

"What's the price?" I asked, my resolve wavering.

"Your happiness is all the payment I need." And in that moment, looking at Peter's chest rise with the help of machines, I made my decision.

"Take me to the other world."